Need Advice/Help on blowing Subwoofer's

Well it's only 50 bucks for a recone so your still on top if you want that sub.
The coil's will need to be redone too? Also someone who has never done something like that, would it be pretty easy to do or should it be sent off to be redone? Thanks

It comes as a drop in kit. Just some shims and glue. I've personally never done it but taking your time and reading up on it, it looks very straight forward and simple. Here's a pretty good video.

******* forgot the link.

I would have to say a part of fault is the salesperson too. As in he should have known it was the incorrect one that he sold you. Just because it was marked on the box, doesn't necessarily mean that's the exact product in there. Sundown is really good about keeping things in check.....but in your situation, who knows.

I would have to say a part of fault is the salesperson too. As in he should have known it was the incorrect one that he sold you. Just because it was marked on the box, doesn't necessarily mean that's the exact product in there. Sundown is really good about keeping things in check.....but in your situation, who knows.
I did not buy the sub new. I bought it used from a guy in my town. I listened to it play in his truck. He pulled the sub right there on the spot, I handed him a $100 bill and went home. He told me 3 times it was a D4, turns out it was not a D4 it was a D2 but I do not blame him at all, I blame myself. I should have metered the sub before mounting it in a box. It is all my own fault but at least now I know what I did wrong and I can move on with a lesson learned the hard way.

As others have mentioned and helped me to understand I may have been clipping the sub too. I didn't think around 60% to 65% of the gain was to much but I now understand that it very well could have been and I may have clipped the Sub too. As I said, it is my own fault, I thought I knew more than I do about car audio but I guess I was wrong, I am, how ever, willing to learn.

I did not buy the sub new. I bought it used from a guy in my town. I listened to it play in his truck. He pulled the sub right there on the spot, I handed him a $100 bill and went home. He told me 3 times it was a D4, turns out it was not a D4 it was a D2 but I do not blame him at all, I blame myself. I should have metered the sub before mounting it in a box. It is all my own fault but at least now I know what I did wrong and I can move on with a lesson learned the hard way.
As others have mentioned and helped me to understand I may have been clipping the sub too. I didn't think around 60% to 65% of the gain was to much but I now understand that it very well could have been and I may have clipped the Sub too. As I said, it is my own fault, I thought I knew more than I do about car audio but I guess I was wrong, I am, how ever, willing to learn.
Ah ok....still say he should have known. Or could be he didn't know but how could a person not know?

And you can also check the impedance of the sub too with a DMM......but you know this.

I bought a pair of American Bass XFL 1544 used from a guy local ($300). They are the newer model with the wired coil lead's. I am hoping they will be an ok sub for a while. I don't think I'm going to try and run both because I've only got the ID 1200.1 and they are 1000rms. I think I will stick one into the 3.5^ 32-hrz box tomorrow and see what one sounds like and then maybe buy a bigger amp in a month or so. Thank you all for your help and a big thank you to JeffDaChef for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.