need a rookie tutorial on installing a amp for mids and highs..

Participant count
  • Participant list

barber24alldaz
10+ year member

DC
hello all, i am FINALLY upgrading my stock 5x7's in the doors of my crown vic to keep up with my nightshade and saz3000d in the trunk lol. i picked up a sundown 100.4, i have heard great things about it. i think my "preliminary" choice for my 5x7 of the future is these BA's..

BOSTON ACOUSTICS SR80 5x7-INCH CAR AUDIO SPEAKERS PAIR - eBay (item 270442987064 end time May-11-10 17:21:43 PDT)

UNLESS someone can recommend me something just as good if not better, for less money or at least the same price bracket.

ANYWAY, im not confused about the distribution block or "powering" aspect of the second amp, i am more curious in the remote turn on wire (can i just tap into my wire for the saz3000d?), as well as the rcs's (i believe the 100.4 has 2 sets of rcs's, do i just split it with "y" adapters behind the head unit?). i am just curious to get some questions answered so i can do this install right the first time..

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!

-Jason

As far as remote turn on there are several ways to do it. The easiest being Y'ing the remote wire with one lead going to one amp and one lead to the other. You can also daisy chain the remote terminals by running into on amp, running another wire from that terminal to the terminal on the second amp. The 100.4 has 2 sets of RCA's because it is a 4-channel amplifier, one RCA plug is the audio source for one channel. You have Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left and Rear Right channels and RCA plugs, respectively. How you do this depends on what deck you have. A good deck has three sets of pre-outs. Front pair, Rear pair and sub pair. You would run rcas from front and rear back if this is the case. If your deck has two sets, one for front and one for Rear/Sub you will need to run an RCA cable from front back to the 100.4 and then you'd probably want to split the rear/sub output into two leads via 2x 1 male to 2 female y adaptors. If you have one pre-out youd need to split it twice however in this case an electronic crossover/equalizer wouldnt be a bad idea(which you can also use to priovide the outputs)

As far as remote turn on there are several ways to do it. The easiest being Y'ing the remote wire with one lead going to one amp and one lead to the other. You can also daisy chain the remote terminals by running into on amp, running another wire from that terminal to the terminal on the second amp. The 100.4 has 2 sets of RCA's because it is a 4-channel amplifier, one RCA plug is the audio source for one channel. You have Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left and Rear Right channels and RCA plugs, respectively. How you do this depends on what deck you have. A good deck has three sets of pre-outs. Front pair, Rear pair and sub pair. You would run rcas from front and rear back if this is the case. If your deck has two sets, one for front and one for Rear/Sub you will need to run an RCA cable from front back to the 100.4 and then you'd probably want to split the rear/sub output into two leads via 2x 1 male to 2 female y adaptors. If you have one pre-out youd need to split it twice however in this case an electronic crossover/equalizer wouldnt be a bad idea(which you can also use to priovide the outputs)
Thank you so much, this was very helpful. i am currently running a clarion which i believe only has two outputs. i will soon be upgrading to an Alpine 9886 tho, i know it has three outputs. THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.