need a high output <6.5" midrange with LOTS of bass

RoudyruffKK
10+ year member

a little about my system, currently i have an active setup of cdt hd-6 mids with cdt drt-26silk tweets, powered by an alpine mrv-f345 that puts out around 100rms/channel. as much as i like the clarity of the HD mids i need something that can keep up with my 15" avalanche . ideally i was going to run a 3way system up front but decided that's too much work + money (need for an extra amp and want to run it IB).

i'm deciding on the xxx mids because i can get around 200rms @ ohm from my amp on channels 3/4, but hear that they don't do too well above 2khz and i don't want to cross my tweets lower than 3.2khz (alpine deck cda-9855 crossover). i can have a slope as steep as 25db/octive. what would be the best choice in midrange for my needs? i want something a bit more bass heavy. i've even considered putting in horns but very little knowledge in that department.

I wouldn't lowpass any higher than 1.4khz on those XXX -- 4th order -- 1.2 is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif... Dayton RS 7" Does nicely upto 2k -- 1.8khz xover works... however they are rather tricky and you would need a nice EQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- still you will need a more robust tweeter... so in all you would be after a new component set...

I wouldn't lowpass any higher than 1.4khz on those XXX -- 4th order -- 1.2 is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif... Dayton RS 7" Does nicely upto 2k -- 1.8khz xover works... however they are rather tricky and you would need a nice EQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- still you will need a more robust tweeter... so in all you would be after a new component set...
ok recommend me a pair of 6.5/7" and a tweeter combo to run active. mid wise i would like something in the 2ohm area get the most out of my amp. i have 100rms per tweeter annd 200rms per mid. will even consider horns, prefer not to use ribbon as i heard they are real sensitive to damage

ok recommend me a pair of 6.5/7" and a tweeter combo to run active. mid wise i would like something in the 2ohm area get the most out of my amp. i have 100rms per tweeter annd 200rms per mid. will even consider horns, prefer not to use ribbon as i heard they are real sensitive to damage
do you really want to have to bi amp it?

do you really want to have to bi amp it?
i would like to although it's not set in stone, i'm one of those people that like to switch out parts every so often plus i like the given control (IE crossover points, setting the gains, especially on the tweeters because i don't like my tweets too loud) you ahve a good set in mind? probably willing to spend about $400 on components and about $250 for the midrange/bass and tweeters, well i'll decide if those are going to need to go too :p

**** those look beefy. anyone have any experience with the Alpine SPX-177R as a whole component set? comes with a passive crossover with the option to biamp at the crossover (not too sure how that would work, i'm thinking it just bypasses the passive crossover). i can get them for around 250 for the set new with warrenty
http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?tid=22280&fid=7

Biamping is almost useless btw... a few benefits like better control over the tweeter level... clipping won't be present on the tweeter if the midwoofer's amp is clipping more than likely...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.