Need 400W @ 1 Ohm

Vmax911
10+ year member

Finally quit lurking
ABQ
I'm running a single ID10 with dual 2 ohm voice coils, in parallel at 1 ohm. Sub is rated at 400W RMS. I'm currently running the sub off of an old school Phoenix Gold MPS amp. I'd like to upgrade to something more efficient (ie class D). Can anyone recommend an amp that would fit the bill?

Get a 2-channel amplifier and wire the sub in series for 4ohm. One good amplifier is PPI Phantom P600.2. The rating is 600watts into 4ohms bridged with 14.4V supply. Supersmall. The price at sonicelectronix is around $170 shipped, when they're not sold out (last time I heard, they were sold out again).

I'm running a single ID10 with dual 2 ohm voice coils, in parallel at 1 ohm. Sub is rated at 400W RMS. I'm currently running the sub off of an old school Phoenix Gold MPS amp. I'd like to upgrade to something more efficient (ie class D). Can anyone recommend an amp that would fit the bill?
which MPS is that?...they were some sweet amps back in the days when PG, RF,Orion, SS, etc. was American Made. when they built that amp, gold was cheap as hell. Have you looked at the board in that thing?? I envy u...1/2 ohm stable to boot.

I bought one of these from the local shop for $200..Db Drive A31000.1d Okur A3 Series Class D Mono Amplifier (1000w Max; 500w X 1 @ 2_; 1000w X 1 @ 1_)--Computers & Electronics-Electronics Accessories-Portable Audio Devices

I can't find much on the net about it except Sears. I was seriously impressed with it running 2 15's in my wifes ride. I know it is alot more power than you are looking for, but it sounds good and is not harsh on the electrical....and cheap enough to get 90% your money back on Craigslist if you are not satisfied..lol.

Thanks for the reply guys. I will admit that I've been out of the car audio loop for a while. I'm not opposed at running 400W @ 4 ohm. Back in my day, class D stuff was just for monoblock subs. I didn't even know they made full range class D! Looks like I've got some research to do!

quackhead-

It's an old MPS-2220 from around 90-91. I think it's rated at 22x2@4ohm. Your right, it is 1/2 ohm stable in stereo. Right now I'm probably around 300x1@ 1ohm. And yes, she's a beauty on the inside with that 24k gold plated PCB!

Wow, great looking amps! But money definitely is an object, along with the wife and kids //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

WoofersEtc.com - BRZ1200.1D - Hifonics 1200W Brutus Series 1-Channel Monoblock Class D Amplifier

well, I ran one of these for 2 years daily@1 ohm and never had a single issue..stayed cool to the touch ALL the time. I did have to do the big 3 and I put a big Kinetics batt up front due to headlight dimming at night. Mine was 2 versions before this one, so I cannot attest to this one's quality. It seems like alot of ppl here still buy them and the rest hate on them. I would not buy the HiFi line, myself...but to each their own. At 4 ohms(400-450 watts), I doubt you would stress a thing electrically(except maybe the ID sub).My Hifonics Brutus BXI 1205D produced 1090 watts @ 1 ohm clamped. 110 watts from rated was acceptable to me....lol....I run dual 4 ohm 15's in my car and my wife's, so I really cannot tell the difference between one class d mono amp and another at 3/4 full tilt volume with the same wattage moving so much air around. It comes down to dependability and cosmetics, basically....Now, when I put the AQ 2200D on em, then I noticed a huge difference. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well, I got a good deal on a used Diamond Audio D600.1. 600W @ 1ohm. I know diamond used to be a good brand, we'll see how it goes...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.