Name brand haters???

If you wanna get technical, a 21" Warden isn't even $1k. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif And the W7 is still laughable compared to it.
Not to mention the W7 has been around for a decade and hasn't changed one bit in pricing(that I can think of). If JL really wanted to sell some W7's they'd drop the price 25-30% and grab all the fence riders who complain about it costing too much...but maybe that'd ruin the elitist W7 status? The Warden is a "new" sub using a neo motor(unlike the common ferrite like the W7)...and it still costs less.

Granted they are geared towards slightly different crowds, both woofers are very sql(god, I hate that acronym) oriented.

amps? well, i know one common company thats bashed for overpriced amps is JL, but truth be told, the slash series are **** good amps. I wouldnt pay msrp for one, but I wouldnt mind having a 1000/1...Memphis amps at msrp are **** expensive as well, but they are pretty solid
The argument is kind of different when it comes to amplifiers. There are tons of expensive amps, and even the "underground" companies have amp lines that cost a fortune.

Have you checked some of the prices on the "little guy" companies lately. They are the ones that are overpriced..
Have you considered that most "mainstream brands" can't even touch the performance of a lot of the "little guy" companies? I mean, what mainstream sub can you think of can consistently outperform the likes of a BTL/lvl5/Nighshade/etc? They're too busy using marketing ploys and plastic accents to worry about what their woofers can actually do compared to their competition.

The point I'm trying to make is that the mainstream guys don't even offer a real higher performance woofer built for spl lanes and/or sheer output in a daily system, which is what most of the people here are after.

The new RE XXX can be considered a $1k+ sub as well.
Well, you can buy an 18" XXX bnib for $850...and I'm pretty sure audiosavings.com is authorized. I know the sub can cost more at other places, though. We'll add it for the sake of argument....but it's just another expensive mainstream subwoofer either way. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

90% of the big box store brand equipment is garbage plain and simple. The top-of-the-line is often great (but overpriced) and occasionally there's an affordable product that actually performs well (Type Arghs, Kicker CVR, etc.)

A lot of the "elite" equipment is overpriced garbage too... but a smaller percentage by far I think.

As has been said the JL W7 hasn't changed at all in a decade. Perhaps it's time for JL to drop a few bux into R&D. IF they were actually on the cutting edge of technology it would be a little easier to justify the absurd MSRP of their gear. Really I think the sound and performance of most of their gear is excellent, but WTF do they do with all the money they charge over their actual cost of production?

.... At the risk of heavy flaming or banning, I'm going to say that DD is pretty much mainstream these days.

.... At the risk of heavy flaming or banning, I'm going to say that DD is pretty much mainstream these days.
DD has stepped in that direction ever since the D series motors for the 3500 series 4-5 years back. They still make a good product, but IMO have lost some of that "underground edge." Just like how US Amps and RE have become mainstream and sell-outs(they don't have to go hand-in-hand though)...sad, really.

At the risk of heavy flaming or banning, I'm going to say that DD is pretty much mainstream these days.
lol...be careful, for some members on here their thought process equates to "DD > wife and kids"

ust ridiculous to even assume your product is that far above a quality amps that's 1/5 the cost.
agreed

NOOB?
ok 15+ in the game and I'm a noob?

Ok buddy.

BY the way DODGE SUX..! Try getting a new car before spending a cent on a system. You don't even have a fullsize..lol
I'm sorry to tell you but you don't have to drive his vehicle so why are you trashing his car? seriously. I drive a Mercury Mountaineer trash that to if you like.

Anyway back on the subject. I would rather buy from the "little guy" over mainstream. Mainstream is over priced "good equipment" your buying the name... where you can buy a 1000w amplifier much cheaper then you can buy a JL 1000w slash. I think they cost new on cructhfield for 1000 dollars. are you f*** kidding me. I can buy a sweet as "little guy" amp that puts out probably three times that for that price. So you can leave your own topic and GTFO!!!

I'm sorry to tell you but you don't have to drive his vehicle so why are you trashing his car? seriously. I drive a Mercury Mountaineer trash that to if you like.
Anyway back on the subject. I would rather buy from the "little guy" over mainstream. Mainstream is over priced "good equipment" your buying the name... where you can buy a 1000w amplifier much cheaper then you can buy a JL 1000w slash. I think they cost new on cructhfield for 1000 dollars. are you f*** kidding me. I can buy a sweet as "little guy" amp that puts out probably three times that for that price. So you can leave your own topic and GTFO!!!
Hell, you can get 4-6kw for that price...and solid, reliable power that comes with a warranty too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.