Myths about sundown only SPL

Yeah, very good point. I've heard some vieta, jbl, kicker, nothing special but 15" subs, and they dont sound as good as my 8". At least in my opinion.
Well thats your issue. Youve never heard anything that had a very accurate attack. Idmax and ssa and fi ssd and Q subs are just amazing for sound quality. Check out youtube and get what you can from it. But remember, box has an equal amount of play into how it sounds as the sub itself

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

One day you will grow out of it. Your pleasure will take priority. And you won't want to trash your new car. But I warn you. You will listen to a lot of 80s music. Not because it sounds better but it has way more special effects.
This. When I really want to enjoy my system, I will play my Eagles greatest hits double cd, actually plays on a thumb drive, along with Earth Wind and Fire, some old Commodores, even some old blues by the great BB King.

This. When I really want to enjoy my system, I will play my Eagles greatest hits double cd, actually plays on a thumb drive, along with Earth Wind and Fire, some old Commodores, even some old blues by the great BB King.
I'm all over Tears for Fears. Woman in chains is very cool

I will have to check that out, I remember when they were popular, yeah I'm an old dude. Really any music from that era had real bands that actually had to be talented, some even sounded better live. My fav right now is Hotel California.

I've had the opportunity to listen to Ed Rice's truck and wasn't a huge fan...

We don't have many SQ guys around here and tuning is quite tricky. I've used RTA and have multiple DSP's, raw drivers, great power, etc. but can never achieve what I would want in my sound stage.

It's really a never ending battle, like SPL. Switch things up constantly, treat every little piece in your vehicle, etc... and you still want it better. Then you find a new song and you want to reproduce it more accurately and so on...

If you think your sub sounds great, thats all that matters. And i to, tend to like the sound of Sundowns subs as well.

True sq is somewhat objective, and there is alot of misinformation regarding it. I scored good, but not great, in meca sq......using a ported box. That said, it was a Hertz Hi Energy 12 on 250w from an old class a/b amp. That was the "best" sounding sub ive ran, but it just wasnt agressive enough or dynamic to me. The SSA xcon is a stellar sub, one of the best imo at high output with solid reproduction. My Treo SSi was a very smooth sub as well.

If you do get into chasing the true sq aspect of it, get something like the meca sq cd....and angrily lose your mind when you cant properly stage that tuba. It is rewarding tho, every bit as much as doing a good spl #

Why do you want to play above 150hz??? For that you actually have your full range speakers. I don't want my sub to play much higher than 50hz, because of the type of music I listen to
I'm just pointing out it's possible with some subs. ErinH could fit his 10" subs in his kicks so crossing them at 250hz wasn't a issue if the subs can sound good doing it.

I found my 12" subs could play 80-125hz to a much louder level a lot easier than a 6.5 could. Also when my 6.5 were crossed lower trying to keep all the rattles out of the my doors was at times a issue. That and I think i have less distortion when crossing them higher. I didn't really seem to gain anything by crossing the 6.5s lower.

I wanted to see if i could cross my subs high enough to get away with a system without door speakers and just have mid ranged in the pillars. It worked at 150hz without having any noticeable negative effect on the stage but higher i started to notice some stage issues.

In my opinion, a SQ sub, should be able to play all the freq from lets say 1-150hz at the same pressure without distorsion at a given volume, lets say 75% of total power. right??
I'd say more like 20-70 would be more likely. And no sub is going to play that range of frequencies at the same pressure. For me SQ is about a wide bandwidth and response. Lots of motor force and low mms helps IMO. To me this is why a sealed 10 on 1000 watts would sound so much cleaner than a big heavy 15 ported on the same power.

One day you will grow out of it. Your pleasure will take priority. And you won't want to trash your new car. But I warn you. You will listen to a lot of 80s music. Not because it sounds better but it has way more special effects.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I'd say more like 20-70 would be more likely. And no sub is going to play that range of frequencies at the same pressure. For me SQ is about a wide bandwidth and response. Lots of motor force and low mms helps IMO. To me this is why a sealed 10 on 1000 watts would sound so much cleaner than a big heavy 15 ported on the same power.
yes, i fully agree. for me SQ is about wide bandwidth, and no distorsion at any freq. for that, it seems you need a ratio of 1000W sub, 100W midrange and 30 watt Tweeter.

yes, i fully agree. for me SQ is about wide bandwidth, and no distorsion at any freq. for that, it seems you need a ratio of 1000W sub, 100W midrange and 30 watt Tweeter.
What about midbass? That is where most holes are. Separate well powered midbass to bring the stage forward. This allows the subs to be crossed lower also helping with the stage going more toward or past the dash.

What about midbass? That is where most holes are. Separate well powered midbass to bring the stage forward. This allows the subs to be crossed lower also helping with the stage going more toward or past the dash.
My take on Midbass is that it depends on music you are listening to. In my case, I don't really need midbass, I would even shut it down. i listen to max 60hz, then I have a gap till 250-500hz, where its the midrange doing the job. but its mostly Trip-hop, EDM, hardstyle...

if you listen to rock, you'll better have midbass. if you want everything, yo might better have a sub for 15-60hz another one for 60-250hz, then midrange and finally a tweeter

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.