Myths about sundown only SPL

If you are playing it to 150hz you haven't heard it sound quality yet. And what you do hear is all in the box. Anything can play flat in the right box with a bit of EQ.
noo hehe, 150hz LPF was just an example for flat response. my LPF is set to 50hz. but I'm still waiting for a new amp, because the actual one is not enough for that speaker.

noo hehe, 150hz LPF was just an example for flat response. my LPF is set to 50hz. but I'm still waiting for a new amp, because the actual one is not enough for that speaker.
If you are really going for sound quality you don't need more than a few hundred watts on the sub stage.

In my opinion, a SQ sub, should be able to play all the freq from lets say 1-150hz at the same pressure without distorsion at a given volume, lets say 75% of total power. right??
you'll be lucky to even have any 20hz region. You might need to retrain your ears if you think thats your response.

I bet if you hear a real SQ setup and really listened to it you would like it. There's a few songs we use to test that will drive you crazy as chasing numbers.

Spanish Harlem. It has a shaker in the back ground and you should hear it change direction and pitch. It's very very minor but there. Nail that and you have resolution. It'll make you want to punch a baby

Bro, just listened to spanish harlem but,... I think its more like a tweeter or maximum full range speaker test. Sub was barely vibrating..

Bro, just listened to spanish harlem but,... I think its more like a tweeter or maximum full range speaker test. Sub was barely vibrating..
There is a warm bass guitar in it. Which version? Rebecca Pidgen is the good one. Look for the Cheesky ultimate demo cd.

Most "SQ" songs are not going to have too much bass.

You just want loud and doesn't sound like crap....like most people. Also believe it or not you may actually like distortion in the subwoofer! You may not realize it, but it's there.

SQ is one of those car audio terms which get thrown around incorrectly quite often. If you are really after SQ it's going to rely way more on the install (enclosure, DSP, deadening, speaker placement etc) than the actual woofer for 99.99% of people. The sub imposes hard limits on what you can achieve, but to even test those limits your install is going to have to be pretty on point. Until everything else in your install is up to snuff it's pretty pointless to talk about a sub's SQ by itself imo. You have a frequency range of about 20000 (give or take depending on the state of your ears) that you can hear and a sub generally covers ~100 frequencies and likely less.

Erin H latest build has his Carbon illusion subs playing 250hz on down. It's reported to sound amazing. I found how high you can cross your sub, is dependent on the sub and install/location. Mine are at 125hz and do really well at 150hz.

Most "SQ" songs are not going to have too much bass.
You just want loud and doesn't sound like crap....like most people. Also believe it or not you may actually like distortion in the subwoofer! You may not realize it, but it's there.

SQ is one of those car audio terms which get thrown around incorrectly quite often. If you are really after SQ it's going to rely way more on the install (enclosure, DSP, deadening, speaker placement etc) than the actual woofer for 99.99% of people. The sub imposes hard limits on what you can achieve, but to even test those limits your install is going to have to be pretty on point. Until everything else in your install is up to snuff it's pretty pointless to talk about a sub's SQ by itself imo. You have a frequency range of about 20000 (give or take depending on the state of your ears) that you can hear and a sub generally covers ~100 frequencies and likely less.
was gonna say something but you nailed it on the head!

Erin H latest build has his Carbon illusion subs playing 250hz on down. It's reported to sound amazing. I found how high you can cross your sub, is dependent on the sub and install/location. Mine are at 125hz and do really well at 150hz.
Why do you want to play above 150hz??? For that you actually have your full range speakers. I don't want my sub to play much higher than 50hz, because of the type of music I listen to

hahaha ok just sayin, I had a sub once I had to set to 150hz because lower it got out of excursion. that was crap, but even others I have here, are set to 80-100hz and still get out of excursion. most cheap subs out there, are designed to run only peak 70-150hz, even with many houndreds of watts RMS, especially the smaller 8-10" ones.thats why my question is, what do people mean with SQ and SPL??? how can you tell?
Youve excluded an important part. What subs have you heard? I thought sundown had great SQ compared to my old kenwoods, Then i got my SSA Icon and talk about amazing sound quality. So unless youve heard true SQ subs. your opinion is moot.

Youve excluded an important part. What subs have you heard? I thought sundown had great SQ compared to my old kenwoods, Then i got my SSA Icon and talk about amazing sound quality. So unless youve heard true SQ subs. your opinion is moot.
Yeah, very good point. I've heard some vieta, jbl, kicker, nothing special but 15" subs, and they dont sound as good as my 8". At least in my opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.