Mystery of the GM Fusebox

jokertlr
10+ year member

Well, I'm installing a system in a Chevy Colorado and I found myself at a crossroads. I need to hookup the ignition turn on for my HU and I need a switched ignition power lead for a couple of devices. Problem is, I can't find the fusebox to tap into. I've looked in all the normal places and some not so normal ones. I've had the truck ripped apart wiring everything else up. I haven't specifically searched for it yet but normally it should just jump out at you. I know that I am probably the only or at least on of the only people on here that have worked on this type of truck but I'm assuming that on the newer GM vehicles there is some kind of pattern that is followed in the fusebox placement or they do not have one (which would be weird) So, help me out, where should I look?

usually it's on the driver and passenger side of the dash behind a lil pop off end cap... if it's not there.... check the owners manual... look in the index under FUSES... if it's too far outta the way see if it has a switched cigarette or accessory outlet... and tap there... or just get it at the ignition harness

I don't have the manual, thats part of the problem... And its not in the usual place that it is on most cars... and the cigerette lighter is always hot.

why not use the original switched power that the stock radio uses?
GM's don't do it like that any more. The radio stays on after the key is turned off until the door is opened, and that function is controlled by a computer data bus, not a switched wire. When you replace the radio in newer GMs you have to find a new accessory power wire. (Not to mention that you might run into other problems when you pull the radio, too).

GM's don't do it like that any more. The radio stays on after the key is turned off until the door is opened, and that function is controlled by a computer data bus, not a switched wire. When you replace the radio in newer GMs you have to find a new accessory power wire. (Not to mention that you might run into other problems when you pull the radio, too).
Luckily my truck's stock HU isn't as integrated as some GM ones are with airbags etc. The only problem is there is no switched turnon (at least not with aftermarket wire kits). If I could figure out which wire gives it power until the door is opened that would be cool. I would rather tap into one of the wires that leaves the HU on until the door opens than one that just turns on and off with the key. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the new GM's to tell me which wire to splice into at the harness?

at the trade show we had in town they had one of these there and im predy sure there a fuse box on the left side of the engine bay
That wouldn't be cool... Guess I have to play around with wires in the stock harness and find out which one tells the radio to turn off and on.

I'll probably just end up using the Databus interface module I bought. I was hoping I could get around it and send it back to save some money but it would probably be easier just to bite the bullet and use it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

look for the orange wire they still have to have an ignition wire i would think to turn it on. try the orange if not pm me and i will use my resources and i can find out for sure 99.9% sure i can get it no problem.

Danny

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.