My MB Quart PWD254 subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

TD89
10+ year member

East TN
I'm pretty new to system building, and I just put my first subs in. I got a couple of MB Quart PWD 254 10" subs http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3878, but they are older than the ones in the link.

I built a sealed box to spec, and matched it up with a MBQ RAA1000watt amp. I'm loving the sound quallity from these subs everything sounds great but I'm having a problem with the output, probably just from me being ignorant.

I can get some decently loud bass, but it is so easy to overdrive them into making this loud crackling noise. A good example of a song it'll do it on is Snow by Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Late Night Tip by Three Six Mafia.

My question is, do I just have these tuned up wrong? Is there anything I could do like raise the crossover point to keep them from distorting or am I just trying to get too much out of the subs? I know they are in a sealed box which doesn't help with output, but the loud crackling farting sound thing comes on so suddenly it's always kind of startling. I know this can't be good from the subs and I'm probably trying to get too much output from them, but I didn't expect the subs to so suddenly go from sounding perfectly fine to distorting horribly at a certain volume on a certain song.

I think a couple of IDMAX10s would solve my output problem and still give me good SQ, but I spent all that time building the box I don't wanna go and change now.

Any suggestions or comments?

If I understand your post right, it sounds like your pushing those subs past Xmax, meaning you pushing them past there capabilities. If thats the case, not much you can do, but lower the volume before you blow them.

Yeah most likely am overdriving them. On the box the subs say they take 400-750RMS watts each and I've got two so I figured 500 a piece would be fine but I guess not. I'm thinking maybe they just have a problem hitting low and if I raise the crossover they might be able to handle it better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.