My Kappas sound AWFUL

Well I like my Kappas....But who am I......//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I got the Pro 60's today. Im running the heater out in the shop, just waiting for it to warm up.
Did you get the pro60se's or just the pro60's. I had some pro60's and the tweets can get pretty harsh too! I believe the se's have the same tweet as the spz's.

I just installed my spz60's yesterday and they kick arse! I am only running them off the HU and they already sound good, I can't imagine how they will sound with around 200wrms a piece.

Just the regular pro60's. I agree, they are a tad bright, but at least it managable. With only one hot spot in the range, its a lot easier to get rid of with treb control, just find where it is and set my treb control to that freq, and turn it dow a bit. At least thats the hope. Worst case, I'll get different tweets.

Just came in to warm up a bit and figure out how to mount the crossovers. I guess liquid nails again, the one from the kappas (I'm still on the driver's side) was stuck in there pretty well. It's nice that the boston crossover splits in half, makes mounting easier. Or possible, of that matter, its huge in one piece.

Ahhh!! Finished putting the Pro 60s in and what an improvement!! I still want to do the door panel mods and tweeter pods, but for now at least I can listen to some music in the car.

They are a touch on the bright side for my tastes, but I knocked it down 2dB@15khz and its much easier to listen to.

I've never cranked on them, they've sounded terrible since they went in. I just finished it on Sunday night. I have my 4X65 bridged, but too much power will only hurt you if you use it. I ran it normal as well, and it was the same story, just less sencitive to volume changes.
I'm new to this site and i know its a little late being mid december and the last post was three weeks ago with the end result of a pair of new boston's... (nice choice!)... Their are two possiblity's that might make your kappa's may sound like crap.

1st. Kappas have two ohm voice coils. Most amps under $700 are not 2 ohm stable in bridge mode. I'm actually surprised that you did'nt fry your amp when you wired it in bridge mode.

2nd. Did you use stock speaker wire in the doors? ( 18 to 22 guage?)

the reason that i ask this is that infinity say's in its manual that it is safe to run 2ohm kappas directly from the head unit because stock speaker wire increases the resistance so as to not fry your decks amplifier. If you went with the stock wiring (a short cut for people who don't want to spend money on good wire or for people who don't want to hassle with wiring bigger wire threw to the door) you could possibly be running as much a 8 ohms from your amp (or around30 watts with peak power severely reduced). that would make just about any mid level or higher speaker sound like turds.

I have the infinity Kappa 60.9 and they are really good. I can hear things on the high end that I have never heard before. My tweeters are in my dash facing my wind shield and they sound really nice that way.

I am running them off a 2 ohm 2 channel, 200 rms per channel sony amp. I only have to turn my gain up a quarter of the way to get a sound that fills up my car.

They actully sound a lot like house speakers, but are crispy sounding and loud. I love them! They sound way better than the infinity reference components I had because they have more mid base, better surround sound, and detail. Whey they brake in the sound rolls off of thoses speakers like water and they are not harsh.

They will sound harsh if you are not giving them enough power, but be carful not to over power them either because they will not sound as good. Adjust your amp so that they play in a sweet spot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.