My Kappas sound AWFUL

Well.. back in the day... I use to have some Boston Acoustics and MB Quarts.. I remember them sounding really nice but they were very pricey.. and these days with a family and all.. and the economy the way it is.. I just can't justify spending $299-$399 for a set of components.

I use to run kappas in installs, they can handle power, but are harsh
since then I've gone with my ID's and will never go back
I like my IDQ10 subs. They seem like a no-bs company. My subs look like cheap stuff, but they sound great. I have been thinking about them for the components. I notice thy make horn setups even. Thats pretty cool.

Every speaker in my car is infinity kappa. I get awesome deals on their speakers and they are well suited for my purposes... cutting through the bass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Right now I have 2 6x8's in each front door with 125 wrms to each speaker. I have room to fit one more 6x8 in each door, which I will probably take advantage of when I put my second nightshade in.

Midbass = lacking, but I notice it less with the subs in because I cross my subs over a little higher than most people.

Midrange = I dont really see how it "lacks" considering I can feel the midrange. The midrange, atleast in my setup, is fairly pronounced. Maybe the lower midrange, like near midbass... is lacking.

Highs = admittedly bright compared to other speakers.. the attenuation button helps a little bit. While I do enjoy a warmer tweeter, the tweeters keeps the high frequencies well pronounced even with the bass, and now iinstead of getting horns, it leaves me 2 channels free for the lacking midbass problem.

Its kinda loud, and my ears havent bled once yet..... sounds a little exagerrated. Even if I have 6 or 8 kappas in my car, it wont be unbearable... considering it might JUST break even with the lows.

Clarity wise, even though I have coaxials, my front stage sounds very clear and detailed. Im sure some of the more epensive comp sets owuld sound much sicker but honestly Im not about SQ in the least. I want everything to be super loud. period

I dont see how they could possibly sound as bas as you make them out to be.

+

So when my efforts to make these krappas sound good fail, what should I be looking at? Are ther any brands that are well known in mobile audio as being accurate?

Well for about $250-$275 online... you could get a set of Boston Pro 60's.. which most will tell you are some very good sounding speakers..

I.. on the other hand was trying to stay out of that price range.. therefore leaned to the Kappas but now... I am wavering.

which kappa are these??

Maybe they need to "break in" some more. Move the tweeters to another location and mount them off axis. EQ down at around 1k-6khz. Also try swapping out the kappa tweeters with the reference tweeters.

If nothing else works, sell them and get something else.

WOW, multiple 6X8's in the doors...

Look, I won't bash on anyone else's tastes, but it's just that, personal taste. I personally would like to preserve as much of my hearing as possible. I prefer a nice, smooth, accurate sound. If you've ever hear any of the home speakers I mentioned, you'll know what I mean.

They're 6.5" comps, btw. But break in is one of those gray areas that has never really been proven to chand sound quality. In acuality, youre just getting used to how they sound. Or in the case of these happas, going deaf.

Since I got them on a warrenty at ultimate I'll try to see if I can just get my money back outright and get something I like. I will give them credit, though, they are built fairly well and so handle power. I put in some earplugs (I wear earplugs a lot) and cranked them up a little. I heard no distress. Earplugs are the way to go to catch stuff like that, your ears don't get overwelmed and you can make out things like clipping tweets and bottoming woofers.

I have the Kappa 60.7's as my front stage right now, and honestly have not been impressed. They weren't terrible, but there seems to be something seriously missing between my sub and my front stage and yeah, they can be insanely harsh sometimes. I have a set of Rainbow SLC Kick components I am going to swap them out with, and I also have a pair of ID OEM's to try as well. Hopefully I see a marked improvement with some combination of these.

Why would one install more than one...6x8...in each door?
Cause the space left in my door after I modified the door panel was perfect for 3 6x8, plus I could only get 6x8's and 6x9's at the time. As for multiples... So I can have insanely loud music as opposed to insanely loud bass.

Considering I got 3 pairs for less than retail of 1 pair..... I didnt really care

I listened to the Boston Pro 60's today, after using the Wilson Audio MAXX for a primer. I must say I was very impressed. I think thats what I'm going for. I talked to Ultimate though and the best they can do is a store credit on the kappas. That ***** because I dont shop there anymore.

I listened to the Boston Pro 60's today, after using the Wilson Audio MAXX for a primer. I must say I was very impressed. I think thats what I'm going for. I talked to Ultimate though and the best they can do is a store credit on the kappas. That ***** because I dont shop there anymore.
Take the store credit and buy something that you can sell quickly on craigslist or similar. You will lose a little money but at least you can apply it to your next set of comps.

Why not just sell the kappas on CL then?

The problem now is figuring out where I should buy the bostons. I ordered them from a seller on amazon for 300 but they called me 20 minutes later and said they were all out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.