My Electrical System

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fi-brations
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Memphis, TN
Im planning on upgrading my power in a while and i want to upgrade my electrical system to handle it. I currently have what's in my sig, and the sub amp is at 2ohms for 1300watts, my speaker amp is 50watts x 4, so 200, in my car, 00' bmw 528i, i have my battery in my trunk, stock it has 0 gauge or something like that running up to the front and to the alternator, i believe i have a 110amp, my stock battery is pretty large, the only spec i have of it is that it has 1000 crank power. On all this with 4 gauge power wire for my sub amp, I have dropped once to 11.3, usually if it drops below 12 it stays at 11.9 or 11.7. What I am looking to do over the next 6 months or so, is get all the materials required to go from the 1300+200watts to 3000+200 watts. Im most likely going to get two mb quart onyx 1500d's and wire them to 1 ohm for 3000 watts total. What i need to know is how to upgrade my electrical system to handle this well. Im on a budget so the cheapest i can go with still good quality stuff is what im gonna do. So how many batteries? what kind/size? Alternator? what size? And what gauge power wire for the mb quarts? Can i even fit what i need into the power terminals, would that be a problem? thank you very much, i would really appreciate detailed answers if possible, and if u know where i can buy the batteries and alternator that would be great. I will most likely buy my wire from a local guy cause he gives me a good deal. Also i would only need about 4 lengths of it about 4 ft each, cause my battery is in my trunk and thats where ill put the other one(s).

well the problem might be that my alternator is the front and my battery is all the way in the back, there is a factory wire running all the way to the front and it has to be close to 0 gauge, what size or type of batteries do i need?

and also i dont know when my battery was put in, it is probably several years old, the alternator has probably never been replaced

Wow seems like a massive voltage drop from what u have listed in ur sig. I know every car is different but something does not seem right.
does seem bad, but from what i can see he is pulling more than what his stock alt and battery can handle

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

well the problem might be that my alternator is the front and my battery is all the way in the back, there is a factory wire running all the way to the front and it has to be close to 0 gauge, what size or type of batteries do i need?
did you upgrade that wire from the alt to the battery?

the ground from the battery to the body.......running new heavier grounds from the battery to the body & the motor will help alot......i didn't upgrade the ground in my toyota and set the ground going from the battery to the body on fire with a punch 150 hd.......sry wasn't too clear

Last edited by a moderator:
so should i just use 0 gauge? im a little confused what is the difference between these 1/0, 0, and 00. i always see those and idk what they mean

the great debate.....lol.........well the difference between wire sizes is amprage rateing.......i'd do 4 gage...its what i use for my big 3 upgrade.......cca wire is coper coated aluminum ......doessn't carry amprage as well as soild copper........i use the cca stuff myself....shoks brand //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the great debate.....lol.........well the difference between wire sizes is amprage rateing.......i'd do 4 gage...its what i use for my big 3 upgrade.......cca wire is coper coated aluminum ......doessn't carry amprage as well as soild copper........i use the cca stuff myself....shoks brand //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
r u saying that 4 gauge would be fine for my situation right now, And 3k watts in the future? if im gonna do it, im gonna do it once and right, so if i need 0 gauge ill do it now

copper clad aluminum. also the amperage difference is about 50a. 1/0 is best for big 3 because it always leaves room for upgrade later.

ok, so say i got 1/0 for the big 3, 1/0 for power and ground wires for my amps, and a 220A alternator, what batteries would i need? can i keep my stock battery or at least the stock size for the regular battery, and just have one battery for my amps? what kind and size battery would i need for that? thank you guys uve been a great help with all this

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.