My Box Caprice Drains Batteries

It could be your starter solenoid, like someone said.

It could be your alternator, like someone said.

It could be your EEC. (Electronic Engine Control)

It could be your ignition switch.

It could make for a long day. Good luck.

It could be your starter solenoid, like someone said. It could be your alternator, like someone said.

It could be your EEC. (Electronic Engine Control)

It could be your ignition switch.

It could make for a long day. Good luck.
its not the starter or the alternator. i just checked and its a brand spankin new alternator in it. it does have bunch of crazy wires and **** idk most likely its just them wires.

but like i said i can throw a brand new battery in it. but it just keeps draining it when the car is off.

^ i would agree with that. if he just went for a 2-hour drive with an alt not charging the car would've died mid trip.
An Alt can draw current when the car is off and still be able to charge a battery. That would be a bad solenoid. Take off the pos terminal and hold it close to the battery post. Look very close and if it makes a decent arc, it's probably one of three things.

1, Alternator, Solenoid

2, EEC

3, Ignition Switch

This is assuming you checked the fuses and still found yourself entirely destitute.

An Alt can draw current when the car is off and still be able to charge a battery. That would be a bad solenoid. Take off the pos terminal and hold it close to the battery post. Look very close and if it makes a decent arc, it's probably one of three things.
1, Alternator, Solenoid

2, EEC

3, Ignition Switch

This is assuming you checked the fuses and still found yourself entirely destitute.
i did check the fuses and found a "ECM Eng" fuse that that was blown i replaced it. i put my battery in from my buick and it starts ups fine as usual. we'll see if it dead in the morning. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Get a dmm. Set it to measure current. Take the positive cable off the battery. Put one lead on the battery cable and one on the battery post. Check current draw. Start pulling fuses until current draw goes away. Check which fuse it is. You have found the culprit.

man if ur not (car) smart enough to check the alt. after the battery, you might wanna take it to someone and just have them go through the whole car and make sure everything is straight. im not trying to insult you but sometimes inexperienced people end up making things alot worse by not knowing what their doing.

Get a dmm. Set it to measure current. Take the positive cable off the battery. Put one lead on the battery cable and one on the battery post. Check current draw. Start pulling fuses until current draw goes away. Check which fuse it is. You have found the culprit.
so your for sure its a fuse......thats making it drain?

so your for sure its a fuse......thats making it drain?
Its not gonna be a fuse. Its gonna be the component that is on the circuit of the fuse. Pulling the fuse will stop the current drain until you can get said component fixed. All circuits in your car are fused. Its the easiest complete way to determine without actually being there.

Its not gonna be a fuse. Its gonna be the component that is on the circuit of the fuse. Pulling the fuse will stop the current drain until you can get said component fixed. All circuits in your car are fused. Its the easiest complete way to determine without actually being there.
it started up fine 2day. so we'll see whats the future may bring us.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.