multi sized subs?

Kadori
10+ year member

was wondering if having subs of different sizes in the trunk is a good idea. i read somewhere (though for the life of me i cant remember where) that it wouldn't be, but i don't quite believe them. i was considering putting a sealed 15 in with my 2 sealed 10's to get some more sub-bass in there.

the 2 different sizes will prolly cancel each other out in a trunk ,now mind you that having them in separate enclosures will be a better way to do this ,but being in the same trunk space would kill it .you would prolly have better chance of it working in say like a big suv than the closed area

Generally a bad idea mix-matching subs. Accoustics is very unpredictable and generally the more sources of sound you have the more likely you'll run into problems. Really even a port and single sub can cause peaks and nulls in response, multiple subs (different types in particular) multiplies your odds of running into trouble.

It'll get louder for sure, but more likely than not it would sound great.

the 2 different sizes will prolly cancel each other out in a trunk ,now mind you that having them in separate enclosures will be a better way to do this ,but being in the same trunk space would kill it .you would prolly have better chance of it working in say like a big suv than the closed area
Why would they cancel each other out? I see this all the time, but I'm betting NOBODY has ever done a test on this.

It's quite common for HT set ups to run multiple subs, albiet they are the same size.

In a trunk it will more then likely make more noise and might not sound as good. If you play rap crap then how it sounds makes no diff...

Why would they cancel each other out? I see this all the time, but I'm betting NOBODY has ever done a test on this.
It's quite common for HT set ups to run multiple subs, albiet they are the same size.

In a trunk it will more then likely make more noise and might not sound as good. If you play rap crap then how it sounds makes no diff...
HT setups are also perfectly tuned chambers for each driver...

In my experience if running same model and vc set up not too noticeable def not a SQ option. Another thing you could do is set them up as sub bass and mid-bass through a xover setup. If you have the 15 droppping off in the 10s picking up I dont see a huge problem def would recomend separate chambers for the subs. I'd stay the 2-10s and extend the the port through therear deck or some other way into passanger compartment.

You where talking about HT setups running multiple subs...
Why would you assume that every HT sub is in a perfectly tuned chamber?

What I was getting at is that some guys run 2-4 diff subs in their HT, and many times 2 diff sizes. I've even seen ported and sealed working together.

So why could you not run 2 diff sized subs in a car audio environment and have it work? You might need to play around with location as cancellation could happen, but that could be avoided with some testing.

Why would you assume that every HT sub is in a perfectly tuned chamber?
What I was getting at is that some guys run 2-4 diff subs in their HT, and many times 2 diff sizes. I've even seen ported and sealed working together.

So why could you not run 2 diff sized subs in a car audio environment and have it work? You might need to play around with location as cancellation could happen, but that could be avoided with some testing.
Most all HT setups ate designed to slope off where another driver picks up which is much harder to do in cars... I'm sure you could do it but you would have to know exactly what your cars resonance is and design the enclosures perfectly around that... But in this case with the OP not even knowing the specs of the boxes it probably won't work well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.