Mult. batts. electric drain

<v=rus>
10+ year member

Eau
I have four stinger SPV44s in my trunk. They are wired to four of my six 12'' subs. The other two subs feed off of the factory battery. I charge up the system every so often so i can kick all six together at street meets. My question is this can i install a regulator or battery isolator that will allow the system to charge when the car is running? Basically I want a regulator that will maintain a constant but regulated draw on my alternator so I can charge the SPVs without plugging in to an outside source.

Are you saying that you have your 4 Stinger batteries not connected to the alternator? You just manually charge them up for competitions?

If that's the case then just wire them in parallel to your factory battery and the alternator will charge all 5 batteries just the same way it does the one now.

Or are you saying that you already have all 5 wired together you just want to make sure your stereo only draws from the stinger batteries?

If this is the case then an isolator is what you need.

not helping
I know, its just some ca.com comedy.

Really, those batteries should be fine just running them all parallel with your existing stock located battery without an isolator. Having an isolator doesnt exactly regulate anything, just manage current switching between seperate battery circuit entites. Just throw your setup on a 10 amp charger overnight once every week and it will be fine.

also, if it makes you feel any better, ive been running multiple batteries since 1994, when I originally started messing with circuit isolation devices such as the ones mentioned here. All they really are is a couple of diodes that are real similar in function to the ones that are built into the back of your alternator. I found this type of managment and segregation of the two charging circuits (or should I say, making two charging circuits...sorta) wasnt worth my time or effort. I got better results just having all the batteries in parallel and at stable voltage and charging rates.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.