MTX Subwoofer Smoking, what could be the cause?

Hello I'm running a single 12" MTX Audio TS85 sub woofer on a Rockford Fosgate P-1000.1bd amp @4 ohms and the s.o.b. is starting to smoke.

I currently have the bass boost at +3db, and the gain is almost all the way turned down at about "1". I was running the gain a little bit higher when i started to notice the horrid smell, at that time the gain was set to about "3-5" and the bass boost was about the middle at +6db.

What is the reason it could be smoking? The sub isn't blown to my knowledge, and it just started doing this a few weeks ago, but i only notice the smell when i run the sub hard for over 2-3 minutes.

When I push the sub, it doesn't feel like its catching on anything or grinding, its feels like a sub should.

Please help me out, i can add pictures, videos, anything that could help figure out my problem. I am about to take the sub out of the box and run it free air, and see if i notice anything unusual... after that i am most likely going to take some time and actually tune the sub woofer to the amp as best as i can...

PS: The sub is in a Superbass ProBox, which is tuned fairly high (after doing some research) I believe it is tuned around 40. Could this high of a tune "over work" the sub and cause it to heat up the coil quicker and cause for the sub to smoke?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hello I'm running a single 12" MTX Audio TS85 sub woofer on a Rockford Fosgate P-1000.1bd amp @4 ohms and the s.o.b. is starting to smoke.
I currently have the bass boost at +3db, and the gain is almost all the way turned down at about "1". I was running the gain a little bit higher when i started to notice the horrid smell, at that time the gain was set to about "3-5" and the bass boost was about the middle at +6db.

What is the reason it could be smoking? The sub isn't blown to my knowledge, and it just started doing this a few weeks ago, but i only notice the smell when i run the sub hard for over 2-3 minutes.

When I push the sub, it doesn't feel like its catching on anything or grinding, its feels like a sub should.

Please help me out, i can add pictures, videos, anything that could help figure out my problem. I am about to take the sub out of the box and run it free air, and see if i notice anything unusual... after that i am most likely going to take some time and actually tune the sub woofer to the amp as best as i can...

PS: The sub is in a Superbass ProBox, which is tuned fairly high (after doing some research) I believe it is tuned around 40. Could this high of a tune "over work" the sub and cause it to heat up the coil quicker and cause for the sub to smoke?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
First of all, don't use any type of bass boost. Easiest way to clip/distort. 2nd, get rid of that superbass prefab ******** box. If it's actually tuned to 40, (which isn't a surprise) it probably sounds like crap with music. Did you set your subsonic filter? It should be set to around 30 hz if you are actually tuned to 40. Use a tone generator and sweep through the 30-40hz frequencies and see which tone makes the sub move the LEAST, and that will give you approximately where your box is tuned. Honestly though, get a custom box made and hope your current sub is not fried. Buy a SMD DD-1 if you can afford it so you can see where you clip/distort on your amp.

The sub doesn't clip at all. It also sounds amazing, no distortion, and hits almost every note, lacks on the lower end of course. I have babied the sub, and now its starting to smoke after I turn it up. I believe the subsonic is around 65hz right now which is almost as low as the Rockford Fosgate amp lets it. (60hz is the lowest setting for the amp)

rf power series amps sub sonic is fixed at 28Hz. the 65Hz u r talking about is the low pass filter. and as said before u clipped it to death actual clipping starts before u can hear audible distortion.

The sub doesn't clip at all. It also sounds amazing, no distortion, and hits almost every note, lacks on the lower end of course. I have babied the sub, and now its starting to smoke after I turn it up. I believe the subsonic is around 65hz right now which is almost as low as the Rockford Fosgate amp lets it. (60hz is the lowest setting for the amp)
Sorry man, but it's clipping. It's hard to hear a sub when it clips, which is why it's recommended to set the gain with a dmm, Oscope or dd-1. The subsonic drops as low as 28hz and lpf 35 on that p1000.

Infrasonic is turned on at set between 30-40hz (so about 35hz) the Punch EQ is turned half way, and the Gain is set at 3. (3 out of 12 or 15)
No, your infrasonic cannot be change.. you're probably looking at the crossover.. 35hz is too low for tuning. Go to 80 hz if you can.

I believe the Punch EQ is for the bass boost. Just turn off/down your bass boost completely.

We will see how this works now...

Infrasonic is turn ON

Punch EQ is turned to (+/-) 1db

Frequency is set around 80hz (closer to 65hz but between 65hz-155hz)

Gain is set at "3". (from 1 to 15)

If anyone doesn't agree with this let me know...

For reference..

Punch EQ goes from (+/-) 1db up to (+) 15db

Frequency goes from 0hz up to 255hz

Gain goes from 1 to 15.

I am running the amp with a 4ga wire, and a 150 amp fuse.

We will see how this works now...
Infrasonic is turn ON

Punch EQ is turned to (+/-) 1db

Frequency is set around 80hz (closer to 65hz but between 65hz-155hz)

Gain is set at "3". (from 1 to 15)

If anyone doesn't agree with this let me know...

For reference..

Punch EQ goes from (+/-) 1db up to (+) 15db

Frequency goes from 0hz up to 255hz

Gain goes from 1 to 15.

I am running the amp with a 4ga wire, and a 150 amp fuse.
Gain is not just a number. It is there to match the preout voltage coming from your head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.