MTX 9500 10" -vs- 10w7 who will win

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTX isn't bad at all (love their amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

Besides their marketing tactics, the biggest problem i saw was that they rushed the 9500 into the market too soon. I talked to mr. ponte the other day and he said it was rushed too fast and it wasn't something spectacular. He also noted that as the cone moves past a certain excursion, the stiffness of the suspension actually gets looser. In a typical subwoofer, the suspension should become more stiff near full excursion. And also something about InterModuated Distortion occuring after reaching a certain point of excursion because the coil is off-centered.

If MTX had taken it slowly, then i bet they would produce a subwoofer that would stand next to the magnum, a-series, idmax, etc. (in SQL performances //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

MTX isn't bad at all (love their amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )
Besides their marketing tactics, the biggest problem i saw was that they rushed the 9500 into the market too soon. I talked to mr. ponte the other day and he said it was rushed too fast and it wasn't something spectacular. He also noted that as the cone moves past a certain excursion, the stiffness of the suspension actually gets looser. In a typical subwoofer, the suspension should become more stiff near full excursion. And also something about InterModuated Distortion occuring after reaching a certain point of excursion because the coil is off-centered.

If MTX had taken it slowly, then i bet they would produce a subwoofer that would stand next to the magnum, a-series, idmax, etc. (in SQL performances //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )
Poorly implimented linear spider assemblies?

With that being said, mated with their outlandish inductance claims, I'd have to assume (I haven't heard one myself) that given the power, linearity goes down the tubes. Composure at high excursion levels is something that I would love to see any sub equal the W7

actually, i should say it gets IMD as the coil gets off-centered. It isn't off centered all the time, at least i don't think it is..

MTX is the best of the best, I have two 12's in the sledgehammer enclosure, and ****...lets just say i used to have two 15's and i was hesitant to go back to 12's because im a basshead. Well these 12's put me in my place, its rediculousy insane. And for the price, you cant beat that, the only thing that ***** is that the box weighs 196lbs. I guess thats ok though because nobody will just be able to pull um out and run off down the street with them. took me and 2 other people to get themin my car. HIGHLY recommended, JL should take a bow.

I've heard 3 installs with the MTX 9500 series woofer...all were 12s. I can honestly say that I was not at all impressed by any of them. Its not like its a horrible sub by any means, but for MTX to try to compare the 9500 to a W7...its a long shot.

But hey...maybe it was the box. Hell, it was a good 10 months before I heard a W7 install that I was impressed with.

But hey...maybe it was the box. Hell, it was a good 10 months before I heard a W7 install that I was impressed with.
Likewise for me and the 9500 series //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

as for the 9500s.. they can hold 142v.... wich is like 5000watts where is the w7 only held 119v.... not only can they hold some power... the more power you give em the more and more they pound

as for the 9500s.. they can hold 142v.... wich is like 5000watts where is the w7 only held 119v.... not only can they hold some power... the more power you give em the more and more they pound
Voltage is pretty meaningless without taking impedance into consideration, and considering the DCR of the two drivers is considerably different, that's a rather moot point...

actually, i should say it gets IMD as the coil gets off-centered. It isn't off centered all the time, at least i don't think it is..
No, having the coil off center means it was off center at rest, and it stays that way.

The biggest problem you run into there is different levels of BL, and potentially Cms, on the forward and backward stroke. The result? More IMD.

LOL,

I was at a local shop that carries the MTX 9500 series. I was waitin' around while they made me some custom kick panels and installed my Polk MM6 components. I came across their proud presentation of the 9510 vs. 10w7 article. What a joke.

MTX uses NBR rubber surrounds, it handles the temperature extremes.....uhhhhhhh...big fu**in' deal. They refuse to tell you it handles extremes better than JL's surround, but they'd like you to think that though.

MTX has a 1" xmax, while JL has a .9" xmax. OMG, ima get a 9510 hands down bcuz it has a WHOPPING "tenth of an inch" xmax advantage.

OK....what is the Sd of both subs?.. (cricket,cricket)

MTX 9510 is longer...Man, chalk up another point for MTX. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif Yeah, I always like it when I need a deeper box.

Nowhere in the whole freakin article is the 12w7 or the 13w7 mentioned one time, UNTIL the price comparison...

9510 $xxx.....10w7 $xxx

9512 $xxx.....12w7 $xxx

9515 $xxx.....13w7 $xxx ......

MTX is a better value...

Better value? Based on what?

All they showed you was a comparison of the 9510 vs. the 10w7, but then they conviently throw in the 12&13w7 and say MTX is a better deal.

So it goes directly back to my first post in this thread. MTX bores you to sleep by showing you the numbers that they feel make their sub "better" than the 10w7, and then they quicly throw in the 12w7 and 13w7's price...obviously hoping that since they showed you some numbers that were in favor of the 9510 that you might also come to the conclusion that the 9512 and 9515 are "better" than the 12w7 and 13w7. Even though they give you NO proof.

I've heard many bad things about MTX, AND many good things. And I was always neutral, but now since I've seen this stupid TRICK to make their subs that weren't even in the comparison seem superior to JL's subs that also were not in the comparison, MTX is now GAY IMO.

They are now no better to me than amplifier manufacturers that rate their amplifiers in MAX WATTS, hoping that you think it's continous wattage. In my opinion. Bcuz misleading is MISLEADING, either way you look at it.

IMO....

MTX has now come out of the closet, they are GAY. No need to hide their Richard Simmons workout tapes and their vasoline. And whoever came up with that "versus article" is GAY. He probably typed that article wearing his favorite lace-teddy.

9500 series? HA!!! Put a dollar sign before the nine, and a decimal before the first zero, and that is their "value" to me.

Fu**'em

MTX is not desprate, they know about the massive hype that surrounds the W7, so what do you do to to be the best in your class? 

you take out #1

am I right?
MTX could hardly take out the #1. The only ad/person/thing whatever that said a 9500 outperformed a W7 was those desperate comparison ads run in all the audio magazines almost a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...