MRP-M1000 too much for a single SWR12D4?

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I have put together a fairly nice, nearly all Alpine system on a unbelievably thin budget. Basically piecing it together a component at a time when a deal would land in my direction. However I have ran into a bit of a problem, the last piece of this system I bought were 2 nearly new Type S SWR12D4's. My amplifier is a MRP-M1000 and of course it's only 2 ohm stable. That being said, until I'm able to find a reasonably priced set of 2 ohm subs OR someone willing to trade me for a nice set of 2 ohm dvc drivers, would I be safe running 1 of the Type S 12's that I currently have with my MRP-M1000? If so, any recommendations on setting the gain level? Thanks in advance for any guidance or experience you're able to share!

Just run the two type S at 4 ohms and build a more efficient box. Double cone area in an efficient box will beat out a single maxed out sub easily.
Idk if that's the best route. I was always told that underpowering a driver is an easy way to damage them and @ 4 ohms I'd only be feeding them roughly half of their desired load...

Please correct me if I've been told wrong, I'm not trying to ask for advice and then shoot it down it's simply what I've been told. Also, having taken so much time and being as patient as I've had to be in order to put this system together using minimal funds, (and trying to keep it that way) the last thing I want to do is damage those 12's because I was too impatient to simply put things together right.
Also, thanks for the input. I truly appreciate it!

Idk if that's the best route. I was always told that underpowering a driver is an easy way to damage them and @ 4 ohms I'd only be feeding them roughly half of their desired load...

Please correct me if I've been told wrong, I'm not trying to ask for advice and then shoot it down it's simply what I've been told. Also, having taken so much time and being as patient as I've had to be in order to put this system together using minimal funds, (and trying to keep it that way) the last thing I want to do is damage those 12's because I was too impatient to simply put things together right.
There is half truth to that but what jeff is saying is correct. The reason why many people damage speakers on less power is because many people don’t understand how to set gains correctly. After feeling underwhelmed with their prefab sealed setup, they start to crank the bass higher and higher and that’s where you get into clipping(distortion) and eventually lead to damage. Cone area and efficient box will compensate for underpowering so you can keep your gains low and be happy until you upgrade your amp.

I say push just one with that amp. That amp is perfect for one. Just keep the bass boost off, and properly set the gain. Before I bought my Alpine X I read that Alpines needed their full RMS to sound good, and they weren't lying! First, I had a kicker kxa800.1 pushing my X (rated 900 watts RMS) and it sounded under powered. I had to turn my HU sub EQ all the way up for it to sound good. I now have a JL RD1500/1 pushing it, and it sounds damn good. So my opinion, that amp can't push 2 properly so just hook up 1 for now.

if underpowering a driver damages them then every time you turn down the volume you'd damage your sub. thats the dumbest thing ever. not being satisfied with output plus lack of knowledge is what damages subs. Your loudest option is two subs in a VERY efficient ported box. Double cone area will beat out a single sub any time if done right with enough space. Only the noobs thing throwing power at subs is the only solution. The real way to get loud is with a proper ported box this sub is underpowered by half but guess what? Still can do hair tricks. Cone area with proper box design is king, get that right from the start then you think about adding more power. If you cant get loud with little power, there's little hope for you of getting loud with a lot of power. Run the two 12s and eventually swap out the alpine but for now if done right you should be a **** ton louder and safer than one sub absolutely red lined. The type S subs are not beefy, they cannot handle punishment like other subs. 250 watts to each is plenty to get loud.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.