Mounting xovers in 2000 Grand Prix?

Participant count
  • Participant list

kingsxman
10+ year member

Noob in training
I'm going to be putting in a set of Rainbow 5 1/4 components in my 2000 Grand Prix as soon as it warms up a bit around here. I am wondering where is a good place to mount the xovers? Also, how hard is it to run the speaker wire through the rubber "hose" betwen the door and the quarter panel? I'm guessing it wont be easy...

Well Sir,

Where I mounted my x-overs, was in the styrofoam on the inside of the door panel. I traced around my x-over, and made an incision with a sharp knife. After that, I dug out the styrofoam to the depth that I needed. I didn't have to fasten them or anything, and they stayed very snug, and were out of the way.

However, an easier route, may be just mounting them in the trunk, and running wire to them...

Was this a grand prix? I dont recall any styrofoam in the door...

I have my current Infinity xovers inside the door wrapped in a large towel. Bad bad bad I know...

The trunk might not be a bad idea actaully.....

Yes, this was a 1999 GT Coupe. I had styrofoam on the inners of the door skins, towards the bottom. They may have changed some stuff up, but mine did have styrofoam on the inside of the door??

Yes, this was a 1999 GT Coupe. I had styrofoam on the inners of the door skins, towards the bottom. They may have changed some stuff up, but mine did have styrofoam on the inside of the door??

I have the same car, same year, and mine has the styrofoam inside the door.

What I did was this, I got some velcro to hold them to the plastic, and I mounted them on the center console. up right beside the gas pedal, its hollow in between the 2 plastic pieces that go up almost to the firewall. They're out of the way, and its fairly easy to route the wire through the rubber gromets to the speaker.

I've done the passenger door already as far as placment. There is a compartment right next to the glove compartment that will hold the crossover very nicely. I think I foudn the same place on the driver side that you mentioned..but I havent done that door.

How did you get the speaker wires through the rubber grommet between the door and the car? Moving from the door to the car...I can see how to get the wire IN the grommet...but I cant see where the wires come out inside the car and I certainly cant seem to get a hand up there to grab wires. I dont want to have to do the ghetto install of having wires on the outside..but I might have to.

Where did you mount your tweets by the way?

I have NO styrofoam inside the door. Its hollow.

I've done the passenger door already as far as placment. There is a compartment right next to the glove compartment that will hold the crossover very nicely. I think I foudn the same place on the driver side that you mentioned..but I havent done that door.
How did you get the speaker wires through the rubber grommet between the door and the car? Moving from the door to the car...I can see how to get the wire IN the grommet...but I cant see where the wires come out inside the car and I certainly cant seem to get a hand up there to grab wires. I dont want to have to do the ghetto install of having wires on the outside..but I might have to.

Where did you mount your tweets by the way?

I have NO styrofoam inside the door. Its hollow.

To get the speaker wires through the door gromet, I pushed the rubber from inside the door so that theres a space between the gromet and the door, so that you can get your fingers through the rest of it, and close to the inside of the car where you can grab the wires and pulll them back through. Might take a few tries cause theres not much room, but you'll get it eventually. Youll have to take the trim off underneath the dash right in front of the door to get your hands up there, grab a flashlight and you'll see where all the wires go through.

The tweeters I mounted in the same location as the factory tweeters. Just had to use a hot glue gun to hold them in place. Any other questions just shoot me a pm. I'm actually gonna do my second grand prix install today as soon as I can find some decent speaker wire.

LOL at the hot glue. I installed a set of infinity reference comps and I also used the factory tweeter location and Siliconed my tweets in. Well...actually not silcone..I used an epoxy. now I'm taking them out and putting in a set of Rainbow comps...but the tweets are too big for the factory location. (Of course I'm having a HELLOVA TIME getting the infinity tweets out of the epoxy also!)

Thanks. I THINK I know what trim piece your referring to for access to the wires.. but I think I've got that off already. If its the peice that runs underneat the glove box all the way I've got it off. Makes more access...but I didnt see where the wires came in. I'll have to look again.

if you stick your fingers through the gromet so that they are inside the car, you can see where it will come through, if you take the small rectangular piece off the side of the dash it gives you a more clear view.

^^my question too^^//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I used a coat hanger..just slammed it though and tied the wire round and pulled though but thats was in a jeep

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.