mounting speakers in the box

yes screws dont use silicone cualking it can eat away your surround on your subs and subs have a rubber gasket and screw cover up most of the time as long as you screw it down good that should seal it plenty well in most cases although sometimes maybe not

Originally posted by ryan_feine yes screws dont use silicone cualking it can eat away your surround on your subs and subs have a rubber gasket and screw cover up most of the time as long as you screw it down good that should seal it plenty well in most cases although sometimes maybe not
what the hell are you talking about, how is a bead of silicon on the metal lip going to eat away at the surrond? no different than putting silicon inside the box to seal it -- thats an absolutley air tight seal, pretty perminant though--thats the down side.

Originally posted by evo2k3 what the hell are you talking about, how is a bead of silicon on the metal lip going to eat away at the surrond? no different than putting silicon inside the box to seal it -- thats an absolutley air tight seal, pretty perminant though--thats the down side.
fumes produced by the silicone while it i sin liquid form are slightly corosive and its just enought to cuase suround damage

most manufacters have changed their ways to prevent this (JL, adire, RE, ect), not to mention that would only occur during the curing proccess, with such a small amount even if it were currosive to the surrond it your not going to see it eat away at the surrond -- there is no problem with a bead, not a glob, or a tube, just a small bead to seel it in -- of cource, as I said, a gasket or the seal between carpet/vinle and the lip is air tight, but if your sealing to fiberglass and have to intentions of removing the sub often, silicon works well.

but depending on which subs you have id rather be safe than sorry some people buy shitty stuff and do stupid thigs with it some people think its like a contest to get everything right im just saying it can happen and even a little damage now ends up to be alot later after alot of pounding and abuse

Originally posted by Jmac I always use weatherstripping around the speaker hole ...
im cheap i havent bought any kind of sound dampening material i just sealed my tunk with thick high density weather stripping and packed towels around things like spare and jack it works pretty good

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.