most off the wall, but effective

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrray13
10+ year member

uz some fegbags
IL
what's the most off the wall but effective system you've seen and/or heard? done just to be different? here's mine

there was a thunderchicken done 'bout a year ago or so that had 25 5.25's in a ported box. it was apx. 8" deep and was setup as a wall behind the front seats. it also had 6 more as mids(two in each door two in the dash)w/ fcal tweets. not for sure how loud it got but for 5.25's it got pretty low and loud. JCS Telelink in Cape Giardeau, MO built it, they said they had the same surface area of 5 15's w/ 10 times the cost, just to be different.

it was all focal speakers, not for sure about amps or hu or anything else:D

Ok...my installer built this just to show people how important the box is for good sound:

Kicker C6.5- this is a 6.5 inch mid-bass...usually mounted in the doors or something like that. He put this into a Folded-Horn...something that he read about that was popular in the 50's in the home environment. The box ended up taking up about a total of 4 cubic feet, and the area behind the speaker was only .4 cubic feet, the rest was a long, gradually growning horn (think cheerleader yelling through that thing they have.) In our sound-room, we could play that with a 25 watt amp and hit 130 db. No one believed it. We had to show people the wires and unplug one of the speak wires to shut it off to prove that it was the only thing playing.

I have one right now in my tow rig that has a JL Audio 8W6 in it with a horn about 2 feet long. I have a kicker amp that is putting out about 30 watts stereo running this thing and my truck will hit 135 easy...with the Quart highs running off a Kenwood CD player! Pretty fun stuff...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.