Morel Primo 124

Participant count
  • Participant list

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm looking for a SQ subwoofer w/o spending a fortune. I can get a used Morel Primo 124 for about $125 locally. This seems unbelievably good. How does this subwoofer rate with you guys? Is this a really good deal for this sub? Are there better choices for about the same money? $125 does not seem like a lot of money, so I am wondering if it's performance is not that good.

Opinions?

Sound quality is in the install. Sub don't matter at all. That's a cheap, entry level but ok woofer. Output is very limited.
I thought the box design was most important. What is actually involved in the install? I will probably have a local car audio shop do it, but still curious at to what is involved with the install. And, yes, I knew the Morel Primo was an entry level sub, but was wondering how great a deal it was for $125. I am not opposed to spending more. I am actually, also, considering the DD 2010 but I think the box required may take up too much space in my trunk. You see, I actually use my trunk and can't allocate too much space for the sub. If the DD 2010 requires a big box, what else would you recommend?

I thought the box design was most important. What is actually involved in the install? I will probably have a local car audio shop do it, but still curious at to what is involved with the install. And, yes, I knew the Morel Primo was an entry level sub, but was wondering how great a deal it was for $125. I am not opposed to spending more. I am actually, also, considering the DD 2010 but I think the box required may take up too much space in my trunk. You see, I actually use my trunk and can't allocate too much space for the sub. If the DD 2010 requires a big box, what else would you recommend?
I think box is what he meant by "install". Of course just location and aiming of sub/port in the vehicle makes a big difference but that's something you can experiment with yourself.

Virtually nobody on this board would use a sub that small so you're barking up the wrong tree looking for reviews around here. I'd guess that if you're doing just a single 10 or 12 on 300W in the smallest sealed box you can get away with you'll never notice the difference between brands/models at that price point.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I do appreciate it. So, all things being equal (install, enclosure, tune) I really won't hear much of a difference between the Morel Primo 124 and the DD 2010? If that is the case, that makes my choice of drivers pretty easy. The DD 2010 looks to be almost 50% more expensive than the Morel Primo. And, that's if I don't buy the Morel used locally.

New prices are about the same. The only advantage of the DD is a slight output gain with higher power handling.

But yeah it's hard to hear a difference other than output in the first 2 octaves.

New prices are about the same. The only advantage of the DD is a slight output gain with higher power handling. But yeah it's hard to hear a difference other than output in the first 2 octaves.
Where do you find pricing on the DD 2010? I could only find it on the DD website, and their website has them at $319 and that's about $100 higher than the Morel Primo on Amazon. I don't know who else sells it. Not Amazon. Not even Ebay, although when you search DD 2010 you do find some DD bras, LOL.

Well, I was starting to lean towards the DD 2010. Then, I decided to give an authorized DD dealer a call and inquire about the 2010. He kind of reiterated what you guys stated. As a matter of fact he said, for my purposes, that the 2010 was too much of a sub for my application. But, how is my Arc Audio KS900.6 not enough. It's 60W X 4 + 155W X2 (for the two sub channels). If I bridge the two sub channels (and that is what I would probably do if I got this sub), I get 500 watts (how is 500 watts not enough power?). I've always wondered how Arc Audio came up with 500 watts bridged for the sub channel if it's 155W for each of the non-bridged sub channels. Can someone explain that to me? Anyway, he recommended a sub from the LE-M series (a sub with an enclosure, all-in-one). What do you think of the LE-M subs?

The dealer did mention that DD subs were mainly SPL subs. I am mainly looking for a SQ sub. Should I have any concerns with this? To tell you the truth, I have no experience with an aftermarket sub, whatsoever. All my friends and family have stock stereo systems with no modifications to them. So, I have never experienced the difference between SQ and SPL subs. Am I overthinking this?

They do very well on the SPL side do to the tigher gaps, powerful motors, and overbuilt. That same stuff makes a well balanced SQ woofer.

I'm a SQ competitor and I us a DD woofer. It's all in the application and that power is plenty. The 2000 series is new so I doubt he has messed with them

What do you think of those LE-M subs? I was kind of liking that idea because the enclosure is designed for that driver (right?) and it's keeping the costs down.

I think it will work for you. With SQ bass is just a filler. It's only there when it's supposed to be. The midrange is the most important part
Thanks, I think I'll go and get it. My only problem is that the closest dealer is about 100 miles away. I guess I'll just have to make it a road trip, then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.