More Powerful 12 or Weaker 15

codyc03

CarAudio.com Recruit
Utah
Hello! I’m looking to purchase my first sub and amp setup and am fairly new to all of this still. I am deciding between the Skar SDR15 with a Skar RP800.1 amp or the Skar SVR12 with a Skar RP1200.1 amp. The sub will be going in a proper sized ported box in a hatchback, and I mainly listen to rap music. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

For a matter of $50 you could have the best of both worlds
SVR 15 with the RP 12000

**disclaimer: This is in no way shape or form an endorsement for Skar Audio or any of their affiliated companies**

Yeah those RP series put out what they say mostly but cheap and not reliable. Agree with Bobby, go with sundown. You’ll get a 2 year warranty, and yes it’s worth it

My main reason for suggesting against skar is they over-advertise. "I typed [brand]" for a reason, and it wasn't to see your sponsored ad!"."

Hello! I’m looking to purchase my first sub and amp setup and am fairly new to all of this still. I am deciding between the Skar SDR15 with a Skar RP800.1 amp or the Skar SVR12 with a Skar RP1200.1 amp. The sub will be going in a proper sized ported box in a hatchback, and I mainly listen to rap music. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

No question. Get the bigger sub. Remember that it takes a doubling in power to get +3 dB. Also, look at the subwoofer efficiency (typically measured in dB/W). In almost every case, the 15" will have a higher efficiency than a 12". Also, the increased surface area means that you move more air, making the bass more powerful.

No question. Get the bigger sub. Remember that it takes a doubling in power to get +3 dB. Also, look at the subwoofer efficiency (typically measured in dB/W). In almost every case, the 15" will have a higher efficiency than a 12". Also, the increased surface area means that you move more air, making the bass more powerful.

That is very much an oversimplification.

Double the power doesn't really equal a 3db gain after power compression and heat losses.

Yes a 15 will often have a higher efficiency, but the reality is subwoofer efficiency a joke. It's measured at a frequency that they don't even play.

Surface area doesn't mean anything. Effective displacement matters. A 15 will have roughly the equivalent displacement of 2 10" or 1.5 12" subs of equal Xmax.

I'm an advocate for putting as much cone area as you can into the space you have available. Adding power is pretty easy, re-building an enclosure not so much.

Matt

Only a year late with that reply.

really.jpg

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...