more cone area vs less fs

Lschevelle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
LA.
I have a 05 impala with 11.7 cubes to work with. i want to get four sealed cvx 15's over time with two facing towards the trunk lid and the other towards the rear. Is it a waste? or should i look for a couple 15's with low fs and get a box with low tuning?

p.s. no competing, just a daily groundpounder with no amp as of yet. my budget is $800 max for subs

I would try and not keep a few away from the lid while some are close, you may loose some potential output. A low fs is good if you are going sealed. Why not do 2 15s? And if you can spend 800, why not get 2 killer 18s, or great 15s? 2 12, or 15" apx subs? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you could fit 2 18's, id go that way in a heatbeat!! lol 2 18'' BL's ported would get nasty in that trunk......

are tryn to stick with a sealed box?? imo that would be WASTE with that truck space and opening you have!!

a lot of people say cone area and sealed enclosures is the way to go for a grouondpounder. 18's will not fit

15's arent necessary in a trunk at all. i would get 2 NICE twelves in a well designed, ported box and fire it towards the trunk, or in to the cab. just wanna make sure there is room around the box for air to move around either way. what kinda of power are you thinking about running?

if you could fit 2 18's, id go that way in a heatbeat!! lol 2 18'' BL's ported would get nasty in that trunk......
are tryn to stick with a sealed box?? imo that would be WASTE with that truck space and opening you have!!
only way 18's would fit if they were facing towards the trunk lid

2 SA-15s with money left over and a ported box tuned decently low.
something similar to this would be the ONLY way i'd even think about using 15's. you really dont need 15's in a trunk man. 2 good 12's with a low fs in a good box with good power will get you where you wanna be. and you arent wasting space.

only way 18's would fit if they were facing towards the trunk lid
That is good though in the trunk, to face to the lid close.
I also agree 2 bad 12s would be great.

And the reason people say sealed is because a sealed system has great sounding lows. When you go sealed, xmax/cone area is your friend! You need to know what subs you want to use before too because using subs that arent good ported will **** doing so and visa versa...

If you want to do different what about a 21" lol..

its all about air space and since your trying to stuff subs in your trunk u should do 2 12's or a single 15. if you did even 1 18 you would be sry because you dont have the air space for it therefore meaning you would lose output and you would not be as loud as you would like. IMO do 2 good 12's. some dc lvl 4's or 5's or Xcons.

"random thought" if the pressure from a sealed box comes from the space you have in the inside how would i lose out put?

"random thought" if the pressure from a sealed box comes from the space you have in the inside how would i lose out put?
with a good sealed box you lose output because when the sub moves it has to pressurize and depressurize the air in the box, making it harder to move and causing the sub to reach its thermal limits before the suspension limits are reached.

i know u say u may be looking for something with a low fs but to be honest the fs on a cvx 15 is 23. Thats low bruh. And personally if i were you id be looking to face all subs in the same direction.

imho, yes, 2-12's in a good vented box are going to do better than 2-15's in a good sealed box. i'm getting the feel you are looking for the awe factor in apearance, too, which there is nothing wrong with throwing that in as one of the main concerns. your origional plan suggests you don't really care about storage, lol. 2-18's would be cool, but i'm not sure you can get them in there in a nice configuration, nor with enough space for a proper vented enclosure. my suggestion, is get the 2-15's in there in large vented box, and even get creative to get the proper volume. as for sealed vs. vented for ground shakers- in my experience, i've had all kinds of trunk and open cabbin setups, and sealed enclosures, and i can tell you the best sealed setups are real linear in response, so they do shake the lows, and roll to the top, but hands down, vented gets louder, and lower (tuned proper). a 33hz box will get real violent on the bottom and respond with good musical range. you can go even lower, if you want, but 33-34 is usually a nice range, and the drivers you choose can make the box tuning respond differently. i would agree with the sa-15's as a nice choice, with more options to be able to re-cone, but first thing to consider is how you are going to power the drivers........ what amps (or power, if you haven't decided yet) and what are you going to do with the car itself. (batteries/cable/alt?)...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.