Mixing subwoofer sizes?

JLAW2058

I have a sundown zv4 15 and wanted to run four 8" subwoofers as well. The 8s would not be on the same amp but I have heard that mixing sizes isn't a good idea from some and from others I've heard different. What's the risk? I'm looking for more midbass and I figured 8s tuned to a higher frequency would do the trick.

I have a sundown zv4 15 and wanted to run four 8" subwoofers as well. The 8s would not be on the same amp but I have heard that mixing sizes isn't a good idea from some and from others I've heard different. What's the risk? I'm looking for more midbass and I figured 8s tuned to a higher frequency would do the trick.
It's a dumb idea, and the idiots that you "heard different" from most likely all together couldn't have a higher IQ than a door knob.

You want more mid bass? Put some real mid bass speakers in the doors and power them with the appropriate multi channel amplifier.

It's a dumb idea' date=' and the idiots that you "heard different" from most likely all together couldn't have a higher IQ than a door knob.
You want more mid bass? Put some real mid bass speakers in the doors and power them with the appropriate multi channel amplifier.[/quote']

or listen to this jacka$s and do what he says. good luck with all the different answers and no solutions to your install...i so go for it. just do it right and tune it properly.

Can cause cancallation issues. If possible, maybe put some pro audio 8's in the doors?
If they're on a different amp, and in a separate enclosure, with crossover slopes that are in phase with the substage, he'll be just fine. Just bandpass the signal to the eights to play from where the zv4 rolls off and where you want your mids to take over. I don't think four eights are necessary. Two at the most should handle what you want covered.

normally I would say that maybe you should just install better mids. But with the low peak of the x/z series and the desire of many enthusiasts these days to tune super low, a separate midbass setup can make plenty of sense.

It's a dumb idea' date=' and the idiots that you "heard different" from most likely all together couldn't have a higher IQ than a door knob.
You want more mid bass? Put some real mid bass speakers in the doors and power them with the appropriate multi channel amplifier.[/quote']

You are in a select group of a people around here that consistently gives horrible advice despite being told over and over that you're wrong. I feel sorry for the people that take your "advice" before you have the opportunity to be corrected.

You are in a select group of a people around here that consistently gives horrible advice despite being told over and over that you're wrong. I feel sorry for the people that take your "advice" before you have the opportunity to be corrected.
Subwoofers will not play midbass frequencies well due to inductance, so he was correct.

Properly seal your doors with a nice component set and I think you'll be satisfied. There's no need to add dedicated midbass if you haven't tried treating your doors to supplement the midbass from your existing speakers.

Subwoofers will not play midbass frequencies well due to inductance, so he was correct.
Theory and practice are different. I've seen and heard it work well in person multiple times. Pick the right eight and it can make a world of difference.

Theory and practice are different. I've seen and heard it work work well in person multiple times. Pick the right eight and it can make a world of difference.
An 8 that's designed to be a midbass woofer, sure. A regular subwoofer without a shorting ring? Probably not. Let's be realistic though - is telling the OP to spend more money on speakers the best route to send him? I highly doubt that his doors are properly treated which makes a world of difference in midbass. I'm a proponent of doing things both properly and the most cost effective way possible, and if he doesn't need to buy more speakers, why should we tell him to? I get amazing midbass output from my 6.5s, enough that I'm satisfied with it even with the substage at full tilt.

I don't have room in my doors but would I be fine making an enclosure for midbass woofers and putting them in back?
Have you deadened and sealed your doors yet? I think you would be surprised with the increased midbass output if you haven't.

I wouldn't want to go throwing in extra speakers unless you have a processor or active capable head unit and really know what you're doing.

There are a LOT of drivers that are labeled "subwoofer" and play above 250 hz with ease and clarity.

Also, not everyone wants a midbass in their door that plays from 50 to 2k. Or has 6.5" mounting locations. Or several other variables, including the want to have unrealistically over bearing midbass. What floats your boat may not be for him. He asked if it can be done, for whatever reason, and the truth is it can. And it can be done quite well.

Theory and practice are different. I've seen and heard it work well in person multiple times. Pick the right eight and it can make a world of difference.

im with you on this. i have seen and hear systems using 8" subs as well. i have a good friend that is using his rockford HX2 subs for midbass. his stereo sounds so good. he is using 12" subs 8" subs and 2x 6.5" components in his truck and it sounds amazing. using the correct amps and correct tuning and anything is possible. you just need to understand what you are doing.

this is true with this site as well as most of its users. Beatin' is probably the last person on this forum i would take advise from.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.