I'm new.. what AMP do I need for these subs I got for free?

Participant count
  • Participant list

OvOHaak

Hey everyone I'm new here. Saw some guy giving away two free 12in subs already mounted in a box on craigslist, so I took the 15 min drive and picked them up.

To test if they even work I took them to Radio Shack and had the worker there test their impedance, both are between 4-5.

The model is Alpine SWS-1240D, they're pretty old as far as I could find from googling them, this was the only helpful website I found: SWS-1240D Miscellaneous by Zoombak Valuation Report by UsedPrice.com

I'm super new to this, I did just purchase 4 car door speakers from crutchfield that do not need extra power from an amp.

So my questions are:

1. How many watts in an AMP do I need to power both of these? Can you recommend me an AMP.

2. How many watts in an AMP would I need to power just one? Can you recommend me one.

They both are dual voice coil.

In-case is helps, I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute (4 speakers, not 7)

Thanks! -Logan

Thanks for the reply!

What exactly is the difference between 4 ohm and 1 ohm?

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

you want an amp that does 400 watts at either 4 or 1 ohm.
Oops meant to reply with quote ha d:

What exactly is the difference between 4 ohm and 1 ohm what how do I decide which to choose? Thanks!

For someone who is brand new, how would you recommend I wire them? 4 or 1? Thanks man!
Honestly wiring will depend on the amp. Once you decide on an amp that does 400w at either 4 or 1 ohm, then that determine how you wire sub's. Just Google subwoofer wiring guide, many diagrams to help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.