Mini Suv Enclosure Position/Orientaion

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So as you know i have a 02 Kia Sportage Suv and for now until i figure out what i want to do im going to run my single 15" IA DP15.

My box currently came out of my trunk so its a bit deep so cant lay it down or the port will be choked so its SUB UP, PORT UP right now.

My question that i have is, where should the box be positioned. Should i have it right behind the seat firing sub/port up, or should i have it push toward the hatch door as far as i can and have it firing sub/port up? I i think i read before that its better to have it closer to the hatch door but i cant find where i seen it to verify this.

closes to the hatch is best, my 2 18s setup was like that, you are near two solid walls the phasing will be much better. If you have it in the middle of the car, you'll lose output and run into cancellation.

closes to the hatch is best, my 2 18s setup was like that, you are near two solid walls the phasing will be much better. If you have it in the middle of the car, you'll lose output and run into cancellation.
See a while ago, like when i had my blazer(a few years ago on here lol. I was bored and randomly reading about different boxes and positions. I thought i remebered seeing a discussion about sub/port firing up and seen they were saying that box should be pushed back as far as you can toward the hatch vs towards the middle of the vehicle. I could not remeber why they said to do this however.

The reason is ask is we have a show locally coming up on Sunday and if i compete i would like to have the best orientation for what i have currently lol.

But anyway your saying closest to the hatch as possible

See a while ago, like when i had my blazer(a few years ago on here lol. I was bored and randomly reading about different boxes and positions. I thought i remebered seeing a discussion about sub/port firing up and seen they were saying that box should be pushed back as far as you can toward the hatch vs towards the middle of the vehicle. I could not remeber why they said to do this however.
The reason is ask is we have a show locally coming up on Sunday and if i compete i would like to have the best orientation for what i have currently lol.

But anyway your saying closest to the hatch as possible
yeah i just told you the reason why being close to the hatch is best and why being in the middle of the car is sh*t.

yeah i just told you the reason why being close to the hatch is best and why being in the middle of the car is sh*t.
i see. I guess when i get off work today i will go home and play around with it and push it back to the instead of being in the middle. I wonder if the difference will be noticeable to the ear

i see. I guess when i get off work today i will go home and play around with it and push it back to the instead of being in the middle. I wonder if the difference will be noticeable to the ear
very noticeable. We did two 15s in an xterra, in the middle, barely had any decent output. Towards the back by the hatch, it hurts bad. Easily 10 db difference or more in the ear o meter.

very noticeable. We did two 15s in an xterra, in the middle, barely had any decent output. Towards the back by the hatch, it hurts bad. Easily 10 db difference or more in the ear o meter.

damn... sounds promising. Did it change the tuning any by doing this. Not that i care that much. just wondering

Push it all the way to the back. You want the airspace around the enclosure to be a small, or in other words you want a lot of pressure to build around the enclosure which then creates more pressure within the box.

Push it all the way to the back. You want the airspace around the enclosure to be a small, or in other words you want a lot of pressure to build around the enclosure which then creates more pressure within the box.
You know i was actually about ask for your input as well when i returned from lunch. I just got back and see you posted lol

played lows stronger and more bandwidth up top as well, peaked around the same. Just overall output was much higher hence better bandwidth overall.
I see i will definitely be moving the box around once i get home. I would like to get metered before sunday but probably wont have thime with work smh. Will it really matter what side the port is on? I know with a rear/forward firing port, you want the port to be opposite the side the meter is on. Is the same or different up firing?

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

also just curious.... Will it really matter what side the port is on? I know with a rear/forward firing port, you want the port to be opposite the side the meter is on. Is the same or different up firing?

I see i will definitely be moving the box around once i get home. I would like to get metered before sunday but probably wont have thime with work smh. Will it really matter what side the port is on? I know with a rear/forward firing port, you want the port to be opposite the side the meter is on. Is the same or different up firing? 

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

also just curious.... Will it really matter what side the port is on? I know with a rear/forward firing port, you want the port to be opposite the side the meter is on. Is the same or different up firing?
Should be the same principle.

I have no idea what good sounds like to you, you know? Let us know how it goes, it'll be interesting to see.
true, good to one, does not mean good to another.... But will let you guys know how it works out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.