metalhead needs a ported box design for a 12" Pioneer TS-W3003D4

I will do a 14 x 14.5 side profile on my mdf tonight with two 3” circles on it to give me a visual of what I will be looking at

Tune at 30hz and don’t use to much port area. Metal still has drops. A good ported design will play anything. Should never try to tune for one type of music.
it'll play but it wont hit anywhere as hard as it should nor have the proper viceral effect. Metal has drops? psh like 5% of the time. You lose out on output with 95% of everything else You still play WAAAY more than low enough with a 38hz tune to play everything thats needed. You are not getting the fact that he does not have two dd 9912s on 5k like you had. He only has a single low powered 12. The amount of output he needs is way more than what a **** 30hz tune can get him.

Those ports aren’t too close to the walls of the box?
The flares of the aeroports made them about half the width of the port away from the wall, the pvc port box I posted on page 1 was even closer but didn't affect the sound at all.

The cutout for 3 inch sch 40 pvc is about 3 1/2 inches, so buy the pipe and measure first before making the cut.

Does Home Depot sell short pieces of pvc? I rather not buy an 8 foot piece and only use a third of it if I can help it. I already have clothes hanger rod for bracing. Is epoxy good to secure the pvc to the MDF?

People seem to think playing metal needs some over bearing kick drum. Not the case, it just has to be accurate and in phase with the mid bass. If it’s recorded overbearing then it will sound over bearing. If it’s not then it won’t.

How wide 45’s in the corners? I would have to angle the blade on my circular saw to cut 45’s on the edges to fit flush. Circular saw and a straight edge using clamps is all I have no table saw. Do they make large triangles I can use in the corners so I don’t need to cut anything?

Does Home Depot sell short pieces of pvc? I rather not buy an 8 foot piece and only use a third of it if I can help it. I already have clothes hanger rod for bracing. Is epoxy good to secure the pvc to the MDF?
u can use the rest for diff tuned ports and if u do another box later..

Metal has drops? psh like 5% of the time.
i agree that 38 hz should probably take care of the drops, but oh yes metal has drops in there. it seems to be a newer thing since the digital revolution of nu-metal. Even hard rock bands like Chevelle does it. The two that immediately come to mind are Lamb of God and (yes, i know its a cartoon band) Dethklok. Both bands do it fairly frequently. Also wasnt your previous avatar a bullet for my valentine cover art? ive not heard a ton of their stuff, but it was pretty bass heavy as i recall. Also, also, please change it back to that avatar, or anything for that matter that isnt what it currently is LOLOL!!

i agree that 38 hz should probably take care of the drops, but oh yes metal has drops in there. it seems to be a newer thing since the digital revolution of nu-metal. Even hard rock bands like Chevelle does it. The two that immediately come to mind are Lamb of God and (yes, i know its a cartoon band) Dethklok. Both bands do it fairly frequently. Also wasnt your previous avatar a bullet for my valentine cover art? ive not heard a ton of their stuff, but it was pretty bass heavy as i recall. Also, also, please change it back to that avatar, or anything for that matter that isnt what it currently is LOLOL!!
Yeah i've analyzed all of those bands and legit they dont ever drop below 40hz.

Brudda I will show you da wae

Build a t-line...won't have to worry about port placement/positions. And will play everything too. End thread.

9jinPVS.jpg

Basic side profile of what the 14 x 22 x 14.5 box would look like. Those are 3.5" port holes. Vertical line to the left of them is sub depth 7" from the end of the board. Looks good to me

Yea HD sells 2ft sections of pipe. 2 part epoxy glue is good to use to glue the pvc to mdf, I also run a bead of Alex Plus caulk around all of the inside seams.

Does the port ends in the box need to be secured in some way?

No the port ends don't need to be secured but depending on how you do it can help with the rigidity of the box. I usually try to incorporate a piece of the bracing to support part of the port tube.

edit:

Build a t-line...won't have to worry about port placement/positions. And will play everything too. End thread.
T-lines aren't ideal for every sub. You want one with QTS below .4 and QMS below 7

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.