metalhead needs a ported box design for a 12" Pioneer TS-W3003D4

Small box tune around 35.Tuning higher means higher group delay and sloppy slop..
Whats on paper is sh*t for real world performance, metal is all about accurate double bass pedals and there is minimal group delay as long as you get the port area right. All there is is just a shift in the peaks of bass. 35 is way too low for metal imho. Legit absolute waste of time tuning that low especially for that pioneer sub that can easily do well with a 40hz tune in a moderate sized box.

Whats on paper is sh*t for real world performance, metal is all about accurate double bass pedals and there is minimal group delay as long as you get the port area right. All there is is just a shift in the peaks of bass. 35 is way too low for metal imho.
It's not like that Jeff. Group delay is the phase shift that occurs between the port and woofer. Small box lower tune means less shift in more transient.

Model it up brother..

You got 36" width available... so plenty of side clearance for the side port... you follow?.. try these external measurements... see what you get in Torres.14"h x 29.5"w x 10.75"d... im spitballing here but a 4" side port 14"long ought to fit pretty easily into those dimensions... try it in Torres and check tuning... mid 30's?.. remember Torres reads low usually. If you got 36" width available use some of it and less depth to fit the port, 14" height will stay the same.
10.75" isn't deep enough. 7" sub mounting depth, the 4" port will be behind the sub magnet so need 1" clearance between sub and port. 4" port double that to keep it 4" away any walls. Then you have the thickness of the back wall material.

Going to work...

im curious what that bd amp will actually put out. they were very underrated amps. I sold them back when the bd1000 first came out and the rockford rep would dead short the + and - outputs on a piece of copper and the copper would catch fire and melt. it was wicked!!

im curious what that bd amp will actually put out. they were very underrated amps. I sold them back when the bd1000 first came out and the rockford rep would dead short the + and - outputs on a piece of copper and the copper would catch fire and melt. it was wicked!!
If it's the one I'm thinking of.... around 700 IIRC

22 wide 14 high 14 deep
2x 3 inch pieces of pvc cut to 15 1/2 inches long for ports

2 pieces of 1 1/4 inch dowels for bracing

That gives you 1.6cf at 38hz.

Go 14 1/2 deep if you flush mount the pvc pipe
yeah that would work good 1 4" is good (models i did on mine i was little shocked the port velocity really low on that compared to fu) my slot box is 36hz and only about 11.5sq in port per cube, over powered still sounded good..

If it's the one I'm thinking of.... around 700 IIRC
yeah, the ones with the small oval blue logo in the center with the light grey chassis that i personally saw all had birth sheets well over 700 consistently, I know those birth sheets dont really mean much at all, but those amps just put the power down!! I sold a ton of those. The alpine mrd-m500 right next to it on the display was like $150 more and did a bit less power. It did have a voltage meter right on the amp tho. Those were actually pretty cool amps, but i digress

Inside ends of the port will be rounded over and flush with the side of box.
Then use the dimensions I listed above- 22W 14H 14 1/2D with 2 3inch pvc pipes cut to 15 1/2 each. The box I posted on the first page was around 1.8cf tuned at 32hz for a Kicker CVX- your box would be a smaller higher tuned variation of that design. It works well, I have made a few boxes like that and they all sounded good and got plenty loud.

edit: here's one a did for a Boston Acoustics G5- 2.0@30hz with 2 3inch aeros and 45s in the corners

View attachment 26557114

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.