Memphis MR over MTX TT series?

Shiltsy

I have limited space under the backseat of my Toyota Tundra. I had a custom box built for 10's with .6 ft3 per driver of airspace and a max mounting depth of 5 inches.

I'm driving the subs with a 2 ohm stable Kicker 700.5 amp that will provide 210W RMS to each sub.

I'm obviously somewhat limited on sub choices. Here is what I've come up with... let me know your thoughts!

1. Memphis MR 10" SVC (formerly Memphis S Class) - $190/each

2. MTX ThunderThin 10" - $120/each

Is the Memphis good enough to justify the price difference? Any obvious choices I'm missing given the restricted size and power?

Thanks!

You would love the memphis subs. They sound great for a thin sub. Only drawback to them is it takes several weeks for them to break in. The suspension is extremely tight and takes a while for them to loosen up, but when they do the subs are awsome. My brother has 4 10" S Class behind the seat of his Reg cab Toyota pick up, and it took nearly a month for them to break in.

You would love the memphis subs. They sound great for a thin sub. Only drawback to them is it takes several weeks for them to break in. The suspension is extremely tight and takes a while for them to loosen up, but when they do the subs are awsome. My brother has 4 10" S Class behind the seat of his Reg cab Toyota pick up, and it took nearly a month for them to break in.

you do not have to break in any driver. if you do not break it in, it will not hurt the driver in any way

you do not have to break in any driver. if you do not break it in, it will not hurt the driver in any way
A lot of people have different views on this subject , but i look at it this way. If a suspension is stiff , real stiff...... then that means the driver can't properly move , and if it can't properly move , then it can't properly cool the coils at full power because of the stiff suspension not allowing the cone and coil to move properly. I'm not sure if you need to break one in or not , but i do just to be safe because as far as i know , if i send full power to a woofer and hold my hand down on the cone restricting its movement , most likely coil damage will occur. Same goes here if my logic is correct. So just to be on the safe side , break your driver in at moderate power for a little while before you juice it fully.

I have limited space under the backseat of my Toyota Tundra. I had a custom box built for 10's with .6 ft3 per driver of airspace and a max mounting depth of 5 inches.
I'm driving the subs with a 2 ohm stable Kicker 700.5 amp that will provide 210W RMS to each sub.

I'm obviously somewhat limited on sub choices. Here is what I've come up with... let me know your thoughts!

1. Memphis MR 10" SVC (formerly Memphis S Class) - $190/each

2. MTX ThunderThin 10" - $120/each

Is the Memphis good enough to justify the price difference? Any obvious choices I'm missing given the restricted size and power?

Thanks!
Is the PR line under 5" mounting depth? I used to have a pair of the tens. Very solid budget subs with a 3 year warranty.

The PR 10" mounting depth is 5.18". I am not sure what box he is using, but if it has a pocket for a little more depth then they might work. I do know the MR and SC

10" sound alot better than the PR, but the PR's are awsome for the price.

Those subs have a very stiff suspension, so break in is essential. Those subs do not perform or sound as good as they are capable of until they break in.

Thanks for the feedback, especially the note on break in. I had NO idea.

I ended up going with a pair of the Memphis S Class subs. They cost more than the MTX line, but I've read a lot of good things and took a leap of faith. They also match my box and amp setup well.

I will report back and let everyone know how they sound!

Man why do you keep giving bad advice? So you know more than people that design subwoofers? You don't and have never owned a single subwoofer ever,stop trying to give advice,you dumb ass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.