Measuring true RMS wattage...

Participant count
  • Participant list

photocrazy8
10+ year member

Probably doesn't like you
CA
Ok so i sort of have an idea of how to measure true RMS wattage using a DMM and True RMS clamp meter. But i looked every where and no where was there a step by step explination...

I have this DMM...http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+78.htm?catalog_name=FlukeUnitedStates

And i will be also buying a Fluke Clamp meter so i was wondering which one i should get...http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/category.htm?category=CLMP(FlukeProducts)

also a step by step would be cool and also an explination of the equations used...

maybe this will be come a sticky //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

wouldn't you also need a o-scope to make sure the signal wasn't being clipped?

then wouldn't it just be RMS volts * amps = RMS power

i haven't done it before i'm just speculating..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

do you want to know how much power the amp can give into a known load (say, a 2 ohm non reactive dummy load) or, how much power you're really giving your subs, as well as the impedance rise?

do you want to know how much power the amp can give into a known load (say, a 2 ohm non reactive dummy load) or, how much power you're really giving your subs, as well as the impedance rise?
i would like to know how much power im really giving my subs as well as rise, such as what typerbass was doing with the 20.1's and the 2500d's

thanks, andrew

i would like to know how much power im really giving my subs as well as rise, such as what typerbass was doing with the 20.1's and the 2500d's
thanks, andrew

Take the clamp and clamp it around the pos speaker leads to mesure the amps.

Place the + and - DMM on the speaker leads.

Mesure the volts and amps they read.

Multiply for the power

divide the V by the A to get the impedance.

Take the clamp and clamp it around the pos speaker leads to mesure the amps. Place the + and - DMM on the speaker leads.

Mesure the volts and amps they read.

Multiply for the power

divide the V by the A to get the impedance.
ok so where do you get v and a? is there a link to the equation?

also what type of clamp meter fo you need? and how many amps should it be able to read and what type of amps is that DC or AC?

also on a side note what type of clamp do you need to have to see how many amps the amps are drawing and also what type of amps is that DC or Ac. thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok so where do you get v and a? is there a link to the equation?
also what type of clamp meter fo you need? and how many amps should it be able to read and what type of amps is that DC or AC?

also on a side note what type of clamp do you need to have to see how many amps the amps are drawing and also what type of amps is that DC or Ac. thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The V=volts which you will get from the DMM. The A is for amps which you will get from the Clamp meter.

The best kind of clamp and DMM to use are true RMS meters that have a peak hold feature.

Those will work, just make sure they have a peak hold setting.
sweet i know tha DMM does cause i have it already i just need to get a clamp meter that does. I also want to get one that can measure the draw of an amp from the battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.