MB Quart Component Q series 218CX highs too harsh...recommendations??

Latina33
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA
I love the clarity of these speakers, but I've had to make some serious adjustments to the highs through the parametric EQ, and they still sound a littly shrilly for my tastes. I'm considering either getting a different set of tweeters that are silk dome, or just a different set of 6 1/2" components altogether.....possibly the CDT series, or a set from the A/D/S/ line.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this?

For smoother highs, I'd recommend a/d/s, Oz Audio Matrix Elites, Dynaudio, Morel, or DLS. All of these brands make fairly smooth, soft dome tweets (I find DLS to be the brightest of those, Dynaudio and Morel probably being the most laid back). Rainbow has a mix of tweeters, so that might also fit the bill, depending on model. The Alpine Type-X would also be a good pick.

But if you like metal domes and just want something smoother than Quart, but not quite as warm as a soft dome, consider Boston Accoustics Pros or Z6 or the JL Audio XR or ZR components.

The Bostons are plenty clear, and to my ear, are very smooth for a metal dome tweet. The JLs have a warmer, darker sound than most other metal domes but not quite the clarity of Focal, Boston or Quart.

I like a/d/s, but not everyone does. They're the polar opposite of MB Quart. Where Quart is very bright, a/d/s can sound "dull" to some. I'd say you should really listen before buying.

You're in Miami Beach right? Swing by Cartronics and check out a/d/s in person.

There's also a really good shop called Audio By Design, owened by Mark Brooks. He's a really, really good installer with a lot of knowledge and a nice selection of gear. I'd strongly encourage checking out his shop and getting his advice. I don't think there's a better shop in Miami.

Listening to this stuff in person really helps prevent buying something you don't like (like the Quarts, for example).

I'm not big on CDT. They aren't bad and they're a good value, but I think there's better.

One thing to try, is maybe putting a variable L-pad on the Quart tweeter, between the crossover and the tweeter.

You can use a dual-gang 8-ohm L-pad (such as this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-251 ), parallel BOTH the sections (ie, pin 1 of one section connected to pin 1 of the other section, etc), and make a 4 ohm L-pad... just wire it in where pin 1 is to the (-) connection of the tweeter to the crossover, pin 2 goes to the tweeter (+) wire, and pin3 goes to the (+) tweeter output from the crossover. Then, try adjusting the tweeter to taste. In a previous system in a previous car I owned, I was able to use Quart 19HC tweeters (same tweeter in the 218CX, IIRC) very effectively with this setup, and I also HATE harsh highs!

Regards,

Gordon.

One thing to try, is maybe putting a variable L-pad on the Quart tweeter, between the crossover and the tweeter.
You can use a dual-gang 8-ohm L-pad (such as this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-251 ), parallel BOTH the sections (ie, pin 1 of one section connected to pin 1 of the other section, etc), and make a 4 ohm L-pad... just wire it in where pin 1 is to the (-) connection of the tweeter to the crossover, pin 2 goes to the tweeter (+) wire, and pin3 goes to the (+) tweeter output from the crossover. Then, try adjusting the tweeter to taste. In a previous system in a previous car I owned, I was able to use Quart 19HC tweeters (same tweeter in the 218CX, IIRC) very effectively with this setup, and I also HATE harsh highs!

Regards,

Gordon.
Man, thanks for the input, Gordon! I'll definitely consider that! The only thing that ***** now is that I believe that the midbass woofer in my passenger side door is going.....I can definitely hear a buzzing sound that I haven't hear until recently, and it is definitely coming from the right side midbass speaker.

It looks like I might have to start looking for either an entire new component set, or just a good set of midbass woofers to replace the Quart's.

I second the ADS, their speakers were always known for smooth sound. Although to some it may be too smooth. Oz, Image Dynamics, Dynaudio, Morel, and Polk are some other companies known for smooth sound. If you like a bit more dynamics in you music try out Focal. L-pads can add noise into the system. Best bet is to use the tweeter attenuator on the crossover if applicable. Any tweeter even silk can sound harsh depending on the mounting position and location from the listener. I noticed your screen name says Latina so I'm going to assme you're female. I remember reading a while back about a scientific study that determined females are more sensitive to high frequencies than males. You may want to keep that in mind with your next purchase. Best of luck with your venture towards good sound. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.