Maybe a noob question. . . maybe not.

Participant count
  • Participant list

NoiseOfTheFloyd
10+ year member

God of Rock
Vermont
So I wouldn't call myself a newbie to the subwoofer world. I've owned and installed JL, Soundstream, MB Quart and Image Dynamics subs. I have Focals up front and as rears. I have an eD 6.5" in a custom armrest. I run an an Alphasonik and an ol'school PPI Art 600.2. My knowledge has increased over my 15 years of audiophile interest enough to know to look for an even smaller, more homegrown company for a subwoofer. I am thinking about an SSA Icon D2, 10". I had also looked at DC Soundlabs LV3. I like SQ over SPL in a sub and am still looking I guess.

Most recently I see that lots of you (or maybe not) are building your own subs. Where do I go to learn about how do that myself? Are there stickies besides the re-cone up there that go more deeply into building a sub from scratch?

Alright. Don't laugh at the noob. Thanks for your help.

buy a motor of some sort.. get a basket of choice size, find desired softparts for it including coil, cone, surround, tensils and the terminals for it, then put the bish together!

I'll chime in.... why? Building a custom sub means guessing at specs, guessing at enclosures, guessing at performance. Alot of these guys do it out of necessity, or because they know what they are doing. You seem to want it just to be different. I suggest staying with a pre-designed driver from a company with a proven track record for designing and building solid products.

i do it because it's fun but it isnt cheap by the time u get the motor basket and soft parts. better off buying from someone who knows how to build freikensubs. someone who has put over 100 subs together by hand...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.