martian's 2001 buick build log

Didn't realize you had this going, John. Very ambitous, I'm well impressed!
Don't take this the wrong way but I chuckled when I saw the port setup.

Wish I could hear this. Still have the Pioneer I see.
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you. You can see I finally took your advice and tried something besides a sealed enclosure. And with decent results, at least to my ears. When everything's time aligned and equalized well the bass sounds fantastic.

The port setup is definitely goofy, I wish i had figured out a way to make it less so but..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :) And i definitely still have those pioneer amps, they both sound great. I even bought an old school sony amp with sanken transistors (model number is xm-250I) to power the tweeters in my front stage.....i love that amp, I cant describe it but for only being 25 watts per channel it sounds incredible.

Looking forward to seeing it. I might be attempting the led thing, not for a while though because I'm heading back to school soon.
bleh. One semester left and I finally graduate. Lulz.

and....instead of working on my stuff, i'm gonna post an update here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It's like 20 degrees out and i don't feel like fiberglassing right now, so....

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

setting up the tweeter pods prior to the removal of the door panels.

IMG_0049.jpg

just a lousy "before" pic so you can see the difference the new LED lightning makes.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

man, i can't believe the crap they pass off as "speakers" at GM. The cones on these things were really flimsy, its no wonder they sounded like crap.

IMG_0052.jpg

running 12 gauge speaker wires through the wet boot.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

working on one of the door locks

IMG_0063.jpg

interior panels and such, i've had these in the house for awhile so I cleaned and conditioned them before I put them back in the car. Makes a huge difference in how they look.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

working on the lighting for the window controls.

IMG_0179.jpg

i had to take the top of the dash off to get the gauge cluster out, what a job that was!!

IMG_0180.jpg

airbag, lulz

time to fix up this guy:

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

for what it's worth, I changed/added/fixed/whatever a total of 46 LEDs on this thing. I left two completely alone.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

since LED's are not as diffused as incandescent bulbs (well, unless you specifically buy them like that, which i didn't), i needed to put more LED's on than there were bulbs, and in different places evenly spaced around the cluster. Basically, this simply involved measuring where the bulbs should be, supergluing them in place, and then soldering up power and ground connections to everything from the old bulb locations. Also, I had to go through and find +/- connections on the bulbs since incandescent bulbs have no polarity and LED's do.

IMG_0203.jpg

this is the turn signal, high beams indicator, and ABS warning light.

IMG_0202.jpg

tachometer.

ALSO, note the small LED glued in place on the while dial. This is a white LED that allows the needles on the gauge to be white even tho the rest of the gauge is blue. It looks extremely **** when it's powered up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IMG_0201.jpg

temperature indicator and fuel gauge

IMG_0204.jpg

glory shot of whole thing, going in. I did have to mess around with resistor values some to acheive what I felt to be the correct brightness - for example, the first resistor I had on the high beam indicator allowed the LED to be so bright that when you had the high beams on you could see LESS on the road. Not good. All of this got fixed and....

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

believe me, it looks 1000x sexier in person. Try to imagine the numbers a deep blue and the needles white, because that's what it looks like IRL.

IMG_0207.jpg

ran an ipod connector into the glove box. My friend's honda had an ipod connector in the glove box and I thought it was a neat idea so I copied it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Stay tuned, more good working coming up, hopefully!!!

the glasses might've made things easier tho.....

this color scheme also matches my HU, which is blue and white. The total package is nice since basically all the interior lightning now matches including the radio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.