Man the Headunit Game Changed audio wise

The new JVC are active capable. Had the the new 320 and 620 but it had a buzzing I could never get to go away. I did everything to make it work. New harness, new RCAS, new grounding point for the radio and amps. It drove me crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My biggest complaint with it is that depending on song/source, it will start distorting as low as 32/50. By 40/50, everything is distorted. (Via hu amp)

Pretty sure that is the case with every head unit using internal amp
Yep! Due to the limited linear range of the transistors used in the amplifiers! Which is why to get really clean LOUDness, you have to use an amplifer way more powerful than you will ever want to actually listen to that loud.

John Kuthe...

Anyone noticed that SQ options on head units have made leaps and bounds forward after late 2015?
Even cheapo 99 dollar pioneer head units can go 3 way network mode now with 13 bands of EQ and time alignment.

Kenwood units are half active capable since you can only control the tweeter high pass crossover and slope but their other sound options make a crazy difference. AKA supreme, space enhancer, stage EQ. Really saves a lot of time trying to mess with the EQ on pioneer counterparts to get your sound stage up high and wide and does a good job at it too. Pretty flat out impressed, might be a kenwood convert if they make an all out audiophile head unit.

I Still remember a time where There was no touchscreen double din on the market that can go active, have time align and proper EQ. Even when they started introducing those options, all were costing an arm and a leg at that time $350+. Now even a cheapo kenwood or pioneer double din would run you like 180-220 dollars new and you get every tuning option needed for a nice SQ like setup.

Also found out about phone mirroring with MHL to HDMI to composite. Which allows watching netflix/youtube/sports on your head unit without the lag of the stock mirroring software on head units which is pretty bad @ss.

Thanks for starting this thread. I hate to be a complete newbie dork (and yet i find myself being a complete newbie dork with alrming regularity)

Along with sq, i have some dork requirements from a hu. usb/sd card. bluetooth, hd radio (a must) and control for spotify. is there a hu with spotify that is in the same price range as the one you refer to. kenwood ddx373 (I think it has everything that is on the must have list except soptify.

dork on

gg

Thanks for starting this thread. I hate to be a complete newbie dork (and yet i find myself being a complete newbie dork with alrming regularity)
Along with sq, i have some dork requirements from a hu. usb/sd card. bluetooth, hd radio (a must) and control for spotify. is there a hu with spotify that is in the same price range as the one you refer to. kenwood ddx373 (I think it has everything that is on the must have list except soptify.

dork on

gg
pioneer 2800bs has all of that and its active capable. Its the kenwood ddx 373 counterpart. Different tuning features, brighter sound, more up to date with software including spotify. Takes a bit more experience to tune and get the proper sound over the kenwood which basically has auto tune buttons for SQ tuning.

pioneer 2800bs has all of that and its active capable. Its the kenwood ddx 373 counterpart. Different tuning features, brighter sound, more up to date with software including spotify. Takes a bit more experience to tune and get the proper sound over the kenwood which basically has auto tune buttons for SQ tuning.
looks like it has no hd radio in the 2800 , the 3800 has hd radio,

Yeah i usually dont trust what crutchfield and sonic lists because a lot of times they fk up, i look at the actual pics along with the manufacturer manual. Nerd status i know....
That is not necessarily a "Nerd status" and it's not just Crutchfield and Sonic that is untrustworthy. I purchased an Arc Audio KS900.6 (used) hoping that someday in the future I could go active with it (without the use of a DSP). In the manual, it states HPF is up to 5500 HZ. But, when I got the amp and looked at the back, I saw the HPF only goes up to 550 HZ. So, I called Arc Audio and they actually thought the HPF went up to 5500 HZ. I told them to look at a pic of the back of the amp. When they did, that said "Oops, I guess the manual is wrong. HPF only goes up to 550 HZ." The guy I talked to said he thought there was a 10X button on the back, but there is not. Now, in my mind, that's a pretty major blunder to be making in the manual. IN THE MANUAL!!!

Sorry for going off tangent here.

To those who had been searching these new units, is there a Kenwood comparable to that 100$ pioneer 6800?

I wouldnt mind swapping out from my jvc if it will only set me back 100$

To those who had been searching these new units, is there a Kenwood comparable to that 100$ pioneer 6800?I wouldnt mind swapping out from my jvc if it will only set me back 100$
kenwoods are only half active meaning front channels will have a fully active capable tweeter crossover and adjustable slope however your mids wont have a low pass, only the simple high pass. The KDC x300 is the one with such features.

Yeah it's crazy. I remember when the 9835 came out, and you could do all sorts of stuff with it. Then, Alpine got progressively worse and I even remember owning a CDA-105 that didn't even have a high pass filter or any EQ options on it. You had to buy a separate audio processor.

I now have the 80PRS and you can do anything with it, except play FLAC files.

I just got a Pioneer 6800BS for my other car ($70) and it plays freaking FLAC files via USB.

Yeah it's crazy. I remember when the 9835 came out, and you could do all sorts of stuff with it. Then, Alpine got progressively worse and I even remember owning a $150 H/U that didn't even have a high pass filter or any EQ options on it.
I now have the 80PRS and you can do anything with it, except play FLAC files.

I just got a Pioneer 6800BS for my other car ($70) and it plays freaking FLAC files via USB.
yeah. I'm thinking of swaping my head unit to a 2017 double din just to get with the times and be able to play my FLAC files. Might as well since most of the pioneer ones are active capable with 13 bands of EQ and time alignment. Would be nice to watch sh*t while waiting in the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.