Mag V4 Discontinued.. :(

The only think I have an issue with in that post is the not hearing it thing. It isn't that you don't hear the sub, you most definitely do, the thing it that you can't identify the source of the sound as the sub, you just think it's the mids but when you turn the sub off and you have no bass, that's the effect people are describing. I equate it more to the luxur car going 150 and feeling the same as it does going 25, not feeling luxurious because you are under 60. That is how a good SQ sub should sound.
qtf. That being said I prefer the ability to wang when I want to lol. I've haven't owned a driver without some type of BL optimization since like 05 lol.

The only think I have an issue with in that post is the not hearing it thing. It isn't that you don't hear the sub, you most definitely do, the thing it that you can't identify the source of the sound as the sub, you just think it's the mids but when you turn the sub off and you have no bass, that's the effect people are describing. I equate it more to the luxur car going 150 and feeling the same as it does going 25, not feeling luxurious because you are under 60. That is how a good SQ sub should sound.
Although that's usually more about install than the subwoofer itself. It might be as simple as the Mag focusing more on the lows than the punchy higher frequency bass, thus making it harder to localize.

You can turn down the volume of many louder subs and get the same effect, still nothing magical here.

I like your analogy though.

Although that's usually more about install than the subwoofer itself. It might be as simple as the Mag focusing more on the lows than the punchy higher frequency bass, thus making it harder to localize.
You can turn down the volume of many louder subs and get the same effect, still nothing magical here.

I like your analogy though.
Well, Bl non linearities and Le non linearities increase distortion which in can always be heard, no matter the volume level of the sub. Also, the new Mag V4 was extremely differemt from the V3, almost a full 180 from it. I loved my BM v1s I had, great subs, but even at lower volumes they had more distortion and didn't blend as well as the Mag v4, it's due to those BL and Le distortions. But yes, install makes a huge difference and so does EQing and everything else, but there are definitely subs that can't sound as good as others no matter what.

People try to make it seem like having the vag v4 will automatically give you up front subbass that disappears into your front stage, as if what you have in the front, your install, and tuning doesn't matter...

which is a big crock of ****.

People try to make it seem like having the vag v4 will automatically give you up front subbass that disappears into your front stage, as if what you have in the front, your install, and tuning doesn't matter...
Most of a sub blending is phasing isses, probably over half of it honestly.

Most of a sub blending is phasing isses, probably over half of it honestly.
Exactly, it isn't automatic, I had to work on placement of the sub and tuning, but once that was done it just disappeared unlike my previous subs even with extensive work.

Nah, SPL mostly. Either the entire subwoofer's bandwidth is too loud (thus significantly raising your crossover point) or a specific area is exaggerated (a preponderance of low bass or an inductance peak).

Certainly low distortion, and low inductance, can make it blend better, but you can get "almost there" just with even axial response.

Nah, SPL mostly. Either the entire subwoofer's bandwidth is too loud (thus significantly raising your crossover point) or a specific area is exaggerated (a preponderance of low bass or an inductance peak).
Certainly low distortion, and low inductance, can make it blend better, but you can get "almost there" just with even axial response.
Yes, and the biggest problem with doing this in cars is cabin gain. The transfer function in my Jimmy gives me a ~20dB gain from about 80Hz down and 2 even lager peaks around 55Hz and 48Hz. Taming the cabin gain is the biggest part of getting better sound, but good drivers help too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

yeah, the v4 works around the cabin gain of every car and just disappears. abbrafreakinkadabbra.

these following issues doesn't phase the v4 either:

rattles

Crossover point

Crossover slopes

not driving a subwoofer in the distortion range which will produce unwanted harmonics

output from subwoofer is not linear with respect to midbass output as volume changes

uneven modes in midbass region creating holes in response

-courtesy of durwood

And no, I do not think the Mag is the end all be all of subs. If I hear a sub I like better, and can afford it I will most definitely switch to it, but at this time the Mag is the best sub that I have heard.

I'm so glad I'm done with the find my perfect sub obsession and am finally happy.
There's nothing magical about Mags. I had the v3, with the way people were talking about it here, I thought my ears were going to experience the equivalent of a deep blowjob. Especially for the outrageous W7 tier price tag. In reality, it was a decent sub, not any more impressive than the Oz Matrix Elite I had in before it (which cost me only $160 by the way). Maybe it just wasn't the right sub for my application, I wanted a sealed box sub that got low and loud, kind of like a W7. It got loud, but was extremely peaky, and did not get very low since the punchy bass was overpowering. In addition, it sounded very similar to the Oz sub and really wasn't worth the price tag. I figured, eh, maybe it's just a better ported sub. In the meantime I looked for that sub which fit my needs, I found it in the TC 12 OEM. I don't think anything in particular is better about the TC 12 compared to the Mag, except that it was designed for home audio, and therefore it was much flatter and had more extreme lows. It also had more linear excursion and similar power handling. Did I mention it cost only $200?

I gave my Mag to a friend for his birthday, who decided to try it ported. He put it in a very well built box tuned to 32 hz and fed it nice power. It wanged, but the SQ really wasn't even close to good sealed setups I've heard. In fact, no ported setup has sounded as good to me as a good sealed setup. I don't give a **** what the people here say.

All in all, just a very overrated and overhyped subwoofer there for anyone except those who want to wang in ported enclosures and care about SQ, but not an overwhelming amount.

I have a feeling the v4 suffers from the same syndrome, just very overhyped, a maybe fairly good sub, but nothing magical.

Stop thinking subs you buy from these internet companies will produce magical bass that you can't get anywhere else. It's just bass. Find a sub that has the frequency response characteristics you enjoy, along with the ability to play as loud as you like without distortion, and you'll have a winner. Very simple formula. You won't hear 90% of the ******** people talk about here. In fact, they love the Mag because you can't hear it. Claiming a sub has good SQ because you can barely hear it is like saying a luxury car is luxurious because it isn't driving over 60 mph. I think Mercedes owners would be pissed as **** if their cars didn't go 80+ when they felt like pushing it.

It's awesome to not give a **** anymore and just tell the truth as I see it. Nuthuggers will attack me from all angles, but I probably won't even remember that I wrote this rant by tomorrow.

I agree with u there. I went to a car audio place in hollywood CA and I had the chance to listen to the V3 in a Sealed box and to be totally honest i was not really impressed with it. I also got the chance to listen to the Idmax in a sealed box in the same car. to my ears it sounded better, oh hell the IDmax is no magic either but i liked it better. I dont know about the V4, never listen to that one. thats just me 0.02

just my opinion, i think it is kinda overhyped, and thats because of people that have never heard the sub, but as soon as these a discussion about subs people say " ohh yea mag is the best thats out there" or when it comes to SQ people say " Mags are perfect for SQ just give it 1000+ watts". i dont think 90% of people on this forum have heard the mag, since the V3 was a forum bonner (at least i think it was) everybody goes with it and agrees with that idea like they have one and know what there talking about. again just my opinion, and yes SQ is subjective and I go with what my ears like //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

BTW: 13 pages?? about Mag V4 Discontinued nobody has noting better to do lol

just J/K for some who think its the end of the world

again J/K lol don't kill me

Wow, this post did get big. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

BTW: 13 pages?? about Mag V4 Discontinued nobody has noting better to do lol
13 Pages?? I'm on page 7, who uses the default 10 posts per page? Psh, noob. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.