MA Audio VS. Kicker -- Dissapointing?

wotan

MN
Hey ya'll... I'm looking for some feedback here. I bought a boat with MA Audio throughout about 7 years ago. It had 4x12" running off their big-dog amp (~4000watts advertised) and then a 4-channel (4x150 iirc) running Ma Audio 6.5" component speakers. Over time the speakers have gotten wet and started making popping sounds so I decided to replace them... I also switched some amps around. I thought I would be "upgrading" to some Kicker KS 6.5" component speakers that I picked up on sale for around $100/pair.

I just hooked up the kickers tonight and running/tuning without my sub I am VERY dissapointed in the amount of bass they are putting out. Have I done something wrong? Kicker is a stand-out brand but these are night and day when it comes to bass response compared to the old and (I'm assuming inexpensive) Kickers. I am running these off an older PPI PCX4125 that conservatively should be putting out at LEAST 100watts of nice power. Nothing else has really changed... In order to not have these speakers start to POP LOUDLY I need to turn the crossovers up to around 125HZ. I had the MA's crossed over much, much lower.

So... Has Kickers reputation really gone south? Have I dont something wrong? Should I have bought some different 6.5s????

Isn't the MA Audio stuff mostly bottom feeder? I mean.... I can pick up MA Audio speakers on ebay for ~$40/set. Is this the greatest value out there or has Kicker fallen that low?

Amp is running off 3 newer optima blue-tops that are maintained on a 3-bank charger/maintainer that is plugged in whenever the boat is not in use. There is also a 160amp alternator and I see typical idle voltage right around 14volts. Though the amp may not be tuned "perfectly" I have every reason to suspect that it's close.

The speakers are mounted directly to the fiberglass and there is aprox 3sqft of dynamat clone (not sure of the brand) lining the surface behind each one. Is that my problem?

I never expect good bass out of any speakers unless I spend beaucoup bucks. I would get a little 8 or 10 inch sub for lows and tune my speakers for highs and mids.
I already have 4x12s so bass isn't really an issue in this setup.... I just expected that my mids would be capable of more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.