Low Pass Filter

Participant count
  • Participant list

mkalsi

U.K.
Hi all,

I recently got a subwoofer fitted in my small car. It is a JBL CS1214 in a sealed box, with a JBL A3001 amplifier. The subwoofer is rated at 250W RMS while the amplifier is rated at 300W RMS. I have not upgraded the car speakers.

The problem is, I cannot get a good level of bass and sound quality from the subwoofer. I believe this is because the car speakers are in fact playing full range, while the subwoofer is just adding on top with anywhere from 30-320HZ depending on my LPF setting. I have experimented with different LPF settings, but I am having a hard time hitting the "sweet spot".

I want the extra bass without any holes in the frequency response. What can I do, if anything? Also, there is a bass boost function, which I know boosts 45HZ, but I try not to increase it.

Any help or comment is welcome.

Very interesting replies, thank you. However, I do not wish to spend any more money on this car. It is an old car. I will be getting a new car in the future, where I will transfer the subwoofer setup to. There, I hope to do things properly, depending on the circumstances of the car's exsiting system.

I thought by throwing a sub into the boot will add extra bass, without thinking of the possible sound quality issues. I do have one question. Would the equaliser on a basic head unit change the signal coming out RCA?

I think I'm going to play a 100Hz sine wave and tune the sub so that the crossover doesn't go over. I'm to gradually decrease the filter till I hear the tone come off, then step it back a hair. I don't want any frequencies over 100 to be coming out.

Will post feedback.

Very interesting replies, thank you. However, I do not wish to spend any more money on this car. It is an old car. I will be getting a new car in the future, where I will transfer the subwoofer setup to. There, I hope to do things properly, depending on the circumstances of the car's exsiting system.
I thought by throwing a sub into the boot will add extra bass, without thinking of the possible sound quality issues. I do have one question. Would the equaliser on a basic head unit change the signal coming out RCA?
U can buy a nice HU and install it in your new car too. So your not wasting any money

I never knew you could get head unit's with crossovers. I thought people get amps +crossovers for these things and keep the head unit flat with RCA to the amps then to the speakers...

*** UPDATE ***

I set the crossover on the sub to 100Hz. Gain is 1/2 on the amp. Sounds decent enough. Packs a punch. Although I have been turning the HU up to it's maximum non-distortion level and working the original speakers for some mid-bass. Ears hurt a little.

There are things I've learnt from all of the replies above. Thank you once again.

n00b basshead signing out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.