Low End Theory #2: Help me pick a DIFFERENT sub :(

Powered by JL HD750/1, best SQ sub w/ focus on the 20-35Hz region.

• Imagine Dynamics IDQ12v3 D4 (parallel)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Massive Audio DC 12 (parallel)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Massive Audio QC 12 (series)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • JL Audio 12w6v2 (parallel)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list

gnesterenko
10+ year member

I was dead set on using Shiva X-2s in my setup. However the June ETA date came and went, and now Kevin tells me that his manufacturer is basically non-functional and no eta on when/if new Shivas will be made. So I need to pick between my alternatives (unless you are lookin to sell a 12" Shiva in good condition :p).

Application

Enclosure: 1.5 cu ft sealed fiberglass box (fitted for trunk side, stealth-install style). cutout for 12"

Power: JL Audio HD 750/1

Focus: Sound Quality* >>>> SPL

Uses: Bass and beat heavy music - metal, trance, techo, raggae, hip hop, rap, dubstep, grime and any other name you've got for something that gets low and grimy and fast. BUT ALSO, a lot of prog rock and 'hi-fi' tracks. Think Tool, Pink Floyd, occasional classical music. Needs to handle these and shine doing it.

Front Stage: JL HD 600/4 driving 4x HAT Imagine I61-2 all around. May upgrade to Clarus or L6 setup at some point.

Price difference for the above 3 options is not a consideration.

* What SQ means to me: "low noise floor, inaudible levels of distortion, good tonal accuracy, good dynamics, and good stage/image." (a quote i lifted from another forum that really hit the nail on the head for me). Keeping in mind the application of said sub in terms of music types. Another way I like to define a high-SQ set up is that it has a 'warm' sound... vs harsh. I know that's even worse a term then 'SQ' to begin with, but for anyone who plays bass, its the difference between a Mesa Amp/Cab or possibly a high-end Peavy, vs something like Hartke or even SWG. Played with a Warwick Thumb bass. Hope that makes sense...

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Unfortunately you're not going to find another driver comparable to the Shiva-X when it comes to price-to-Xmax (and how flat the BL is within the Xmax rating!). If you wish to purchase a new driver (not used), I would go for the IDQ 12v3. Their Klippel results for the IDQ v3 were very nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...