loud banging when i change source!!

gavlas

uk
PLLLease help!! I got an all pioneer system and i got it all installed by a so called professional but everytime i change source, ie from radio to cd and cd to dvd etc the subs let out a loud pop. Ive taken it back to the shop and they re wired the whole lot wich took 2 days and its still doing it but it cant be doing the subs anygood!! any ideas what it is and will it do any harm to my system??

if system got few amps big power does it pop like when turn them on it could be the amps power up i live in aus here there brand aroe pro they make a device to stop that poping

Originally posted by HUDI if system got few amps big power does it pop like when turn them on it could be the amps power up i live in aus here there brand aroe pro they make a device to stop that poping
Its not a power up or turn off thump. It does it when he is pressing the function button to switch music sources in his HU..

yeh thers 3 big pioneer prs series amps and 3 of the smaller pioneer amps running the components so i surpose it could them. The head unit isnt that old and i cant afford to replace it for a while!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Originally posted by gavlas yeh thers 3 big pioneer prs series amps and 3 of the smaller pioneer amps running the components so i surpose it could them. The head unit isnt that old and i cant afford to replace it for a while!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
When did the poping start ? If the HU is still under warrent then you should see about getting it looked at.. if it's been doing all along (and is old), why didn't you have it looked at sooner?

And, it's not gonna be the amps, once they are powered up they won't "pop" unless they get a signal telling them to pop.. maybe if it was ONE amp.. but if you are hearing it from several amps (speakers on different amps, etc) then it's definately the HU (and not the wiring either, I hope you didn't let them charge you for re-working the wiring)..

What HU is it? (just wondering so I know which company might have this issue when I'm looking for units //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

i have had a few difference pioneers and my expieence is the same. We all expeicece the power off pop, but when you change sources on pionners there is a break in the power, hence all the amps go on and off cause the "power off" pop. In my expierience it has never caused damage.....radio blows anyways, just keep it on cd mode //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Its been doing it for a while, Ive been trying to find out what causes it but no one knew untill i found this site with all these knowlegable people:p I cant remember what the head is but its very simaler to the pioneer DEH-P6400R. And if its just the head unit thats causeing it and it wont do any damage then problem sorted!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif And no i didnt have to pay for the re-wireing thank god.

it is definitely a turn on/off thump...

its your amps...

there are thingsa you can do to make sure you dont get tehm....

however tehy dont cause damage....

Originally posted by gavlas Its been doing it for a while, Ive been trying to find out what causes it but no one knew untill i found this site with all these knowlegable people:p I cant remember what the head is but its very simaler to the pioneer DEH-P6400R. And if its just the head unit thats causeing it and it wont do any damage then problem sorted!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif And no i didnt have to pay for the re-wireing thank god.
Well, if you ask me it's pretty stupid that a Head Unit would 'switch power' to switch modes.. My Alpine doesn't do that, and NO other HU I've ever used has.. Perhaps Pioneer need to re-think that?

But, yeah... you can do stuff to stop the pop.. My amps have "soft on/off" to prevent it.. I seem to recall something about capacitors or resistors or some such nonsense to stop it.. I wish I could tell you what to do.. but you can probably find info on the web about what 'electronic parts' will stop the pop, then put them before the amps..

I'd say get a different HU when you can.... but till then see if you can put the mods in.. if not, seems the pop won't hurt anything, just ***** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

My buddy had pop way back when... 4 MTX 12"s.. didn't hurt them, just made you cringe each time the amps powered up ..

try make a ground from the chassis of the head unid to the car's chasis with cable gauge 12, 14. remember when the pop is cause by the head unit the amps only get loud the sound. sometime when this happen you need an aditional ground if this does not works try to separate the amps ground. in my system i separate the bass amp alone with a shots cable and works.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

chelopr

Originally posted by Savant Well, if you ask me it's pretty stupid that a Head Unit would 'switch power' to switch modes.. My Alpine doesn't do that, and NO other HU I've ever used has.. Perhaps Pioneer need to re-think that?
I agree it would be silly. I own a Pioneer P-6400 and it definitely does NOT switch power off to the remote while changing sources. Actually I'm impressed with the way they time the remote. It comes on before the HU outputs any audio, and turns off after the HU powers down. It seems to me that they purposely designed it to minimize popping.
You should verify this for yourself by putting a voltmeter on the amp remote terminal and have a helper plug in a CD.

Originally posted by maylar I agree it would be silly. I own a Pioneer P-6400 and it definitely does NOT switch power off to the remote while changing sources. Actually I'm impressed with the way they time the remote. It comes on before the HU outputs any audio, and turns off after the HU powers down. It seems to me that they purposely designed it to minimize popping.

You should verify this for yourself by putting a voltmeter on the amp remote terminal and have a helper plug in a CD.
I have a 7400 and it definitley does....but its not long enough that you or i could notice, nor could you read it on a multi meter.....But I know I have had multiple head units by pioneer that do that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.