Over Heat

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigred78797
10+ year member

Audiobahn Junkie
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif Ok i got a little bit of a problem with my subs. I have a pioneer premier 1041DVC run by a audiobahn 6601x. The amp is a 6x75w amp but bridging 2 channels together puts out 210w@2ohms. I have the sub connected so that one voice coil is running on channels 3&4 bridged and the other voice coil is on channels 5&6 bridged ( each voice coil is 4 ohms). The subs have a 400w rms (or so they say). I can turn the gain all the way up on both voice coils and have absolutely NO audible distortion. Of course turning the gain all the way up would put it over the rms by 20w, so i turned the gain down a quarter turn on each v.c.. Well i listen to music for about 30 mins. to an hour then i begins to get really hottttt. Well after burning up 4 of these precious expensive subs and after each sub burnout turning down the amp gain. Now its still ungodly loud but it isn't as loud as it can be. Right now i have the amp gain down just under halfway on both voice coils and the sub volume control on my head unit is also down to 3/4 volume. I i turn it up at all The sub begins to overheat and i cant afford to keep paying 25 bucks to have them **** off my speaker and get it replaced. HELP ME!!!! WHAT THE &*** IS WRONG???? Powers fine, watts are fine so whats the problem?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif Ive asked the audio place what's wrong and they say it fine, i just don't know.

You say that you have each coil to it's own bridged channel? When this is done you have to make sure that each coil is getting the same thing as the other one...freq., gain (watts), ect.... The biggest mistake that people make by doing this is not giving each coil the same signal. you can only use either the left or the right channel, unless you HU has a mono sub out that your using, otherwise the coils will fight aginst each other and cause the sub to over heat.

I had that checked too when i took it to the audio dealer and even had them adjust the amp( they turned the amp gain UP and did all these test), 3 weeks later it burnt up...BAD. So bad that smoke started spewing out of my port and filled my car. That was the last sub that i blew before turning it down to nearly 1/4 of the available non distorted volume. One of the installers at the store suggested that it was the type of music i listen to (bass mekanik). Alot of the mekaniks songs go and stay below 30 and sometimes 20hz and below. Could this be the problem. I don't have a subsonic filter but because my box is tuned to 30 hz on the dot i don't think its really the problem. Oh yeah trixter: puretone does that song? i thought josh abrahams did that song:banghead:

Maybe it is the freq. If you have everything the same on both VC's then I see no reason why you would have any trouble.

You say that the amp is 210w @ 2ohms (per channel when bridged). If the amp is 75w per channel, when you bridge 2 you would get ~150w @ 4ohms...correct? If the sub is dual 4ohm, then each coil is getting the ~150w, not 210w...which is ~50w below the rated rms range. (Looking at it this way your problem makes even less sense than before.)

If you consider just the cahnnels for the sub, essentially you have a 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channel and each channel going to a vc on a dvc sub. When you look at the amp, the 4 channels going to the sub, what are the rca signals? (I would imagine a right and left to 3&4 and the a right and left 5&6 or are they from a mono out then split to 4&5 and 5&6?)

Also make sure that the gains never exceede 3/4. In you case I would have them at 1/3 to 1/2. (On my Punch 200's I never even exceede 1/4 but that's because they are at 1.33ohm. Since you at 4ohm you should be ok.)

Who is Josh Abrahams? The way songs get endlessly remixed I would be suprised. The only version I have ever heard was by Puretone.

Subsonic filters (as I understand) are even more important for ported boxes... Try that too..

I've never liked the idea of only running one coil on one channel and one on another.. if you have things adjusted wrong I would think it can cause issues (different gains, etc).. and if you aren't running the signals properly, you burn stuff up..

You mentioned the 'shop' said it was wired up properly, but we still don't know what that means.. I would suggest splitting left and right before the amp and have left going to BOTH channels on the amp for one sub, right to the other 2.. that way you are sure to have only one signal going into all the channels that head to the coil pairs..

Also, I don't think the 210 is bridged at 2 ohm, most amps can't handle that.. bridged is mostly 4 ohm.. but since you have each bridged to a 4 ohm load that should be ok..

As far as the gains go, they are supposed to be matched for the input voltage (for the most part).. you might be clipping at higher volumes with the gains up so far and not noticing it.. clipping will burn up woofers..

Good luck with that..

Thanks for the help guys and i found the problem. Ive thought about it for a while even when i first got it. I HAVE TO HAVE A SUBSONIC FILTER TO LISTEN TO BASS MEKANIK. I pulled out all my stuff and did a whole bunch of series of test and found that I am reaching or exceeding my excursion limits once it drops below 19.5 hz. The car audio store didn't find this problem because they never went below 25 hz. With this new information IM PISSED because i now have a $650 without a subsonic filter and now have to buy a third amp where i have NO idea where it can go. It's all a pointless situation now because i just figured out a way how to fit two AUDIOBAHN 1005Q speakers in the same kind of box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif From my calculations and several programs my spl levels should be increased by an additional 9db with half the power im putting to my current speaker.

Oh yeah go to http://www.audiobahninc.com and you should see the wattage ratings for the 6601x to get a clearer picture of the amp.

Originally posted by bigred78797 Thanks for the help guys and i found the problem. Ive thought about it for a while even when i first got it. I HAVE TO HAVE A SUBSONIC FILTER TO LISTEN TO BASS MEKANIK. I pulled out all my stuff and did a whole bunch of series of test and found that I am reaching or exceeding my excursion limits once it drops below 19.5 hz. The car audio store didn't find this problem because they never went below 25 hz. With this new information IM PISSED because i now have a $650 without a subsonic filter and now have to buy a third amp where i have NO idea where it can go. It's all a pointless situation now because i just figured out a way how to fit two AUDIOBAHN 1005Q speakers in the same kind of box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif From my calculations and several programs my spl levels should be increased by an additional 9db with half the power im putting to my current speaker.

Oh yeah go to http://www.audiobahninc.com and you should see the wattage ratings for the 6601x to get a clearer picture of the amp.
Why do you have to buy anything more? If your amps don't have sub-sonic filters, you can buy FMOD inline RCA filters.. you can get a 20 Hz HPF.. that should help.. $25 for a pair.. I'm not sure of the next step up, might be 50 or 70 which would be too much.. Not sure if the 20 HFP will help either since you are maxing at 19 Hz..

Course, you could see about an active crossover too.. with a HPF down to 15 Hz..

Course, if buying better amps/subs will make you happy (and you can afford it) then maybe that's the best answer.. *shrug*

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.