Lost power in amplifier after having geek squad install front and rear door speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi, I had recently installed myself 2 10 inch Rockford fosgate subwoofers in one enclosed box with a 600 peak RMS Watts and a volfenhag amp with 800W peak. I used 8 gauge kicker wiring for the installation. Everything worked perfectly for 2 weeks and I decided to get new 6 1/2 inch 300W speakers for both my front and rear by geek squad. After ther installation, my amplifier was in protect mode as the lights faded. Now the lights are not even on. They refused to check it without me paying $25 FOR EVERY 15 MINUTES OF TROUBLESHOOTING because they were "unrelated" and a "coincidence". I checked all the wires I possibly could without taking out my 2-din pioneer head unit because it's a pain in the butt. Does anyone know what the possible problem could be? Thanks

Hi, I had recently installed myself 2 10 inch Rockford fosgate subwoofers in one enclosed box with a 600 peak RMS Watts and a volfenhag amp with 800W peak. I used 8 gauge kicker wiring for the installation. Everything worked perfectly for 2 weeks and I decided to get new 6 1/2 inch 300W speakers for both my front and rear by geek squad. After ther installation, my amplifier was in protect mode as the lights faded. Now the lights are not even on. They refused to check it without me paying $25 FOR EVERY 15 MINUTES OF TROUBLESHOOTING because they were "unrelated" and a "coincidence". I checked all the wires I possibly could without taking out my 2-din pioneer head unit because it's a pain in the butt. Does anyone know what the possible problem could be? Thanks

you will need to troubleshoot.

first step, disconnect the speaker wires from the amp output and see if that resolves the protect light. if so, the issue may be with the sub wiring. note that every wire strand needs to be fully seated in a connector. if just one wire strand is shorting against the amp chassis or sub basket, you can throw the amp into protect. as a general rule, you shouldn't see any copper wiring, anywhere.

define what you mean by "lights faded". what lights?

i've fixed several best buy installs over the past 20 years. you don't want them troubleshooting something they may have caused.

The lights I was referring to were the, I guess you could say, design of the amp. No purpose, just to make it look cool kind of lights. And after a while of researching and messing with it, I found that recrimping my remote wires behind my head unit solved the power issue. So now my amp is receiving power and the lights are on, no protect mode. I can not remember if it lit up green when in power mode or not, but there is no light there, red or green. It lights up red for the first few seconds of starting my car, but that's said to be something that is for every amp. I don't own a multimeter, sadly. So I can't tell if there's a blown fuse in my amp or not. But I know the in-line fuse is not blown because a guy at audio express tested it for me and said it was good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.