2016 Corolla - Installed single sub - Rockford amp - LOC - Car won't start

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mad4Jen

Noob here - installed and LOC - tapped into the rear speakers into an LOC - Checked ground is good - 12V directly to battery - when I push the start button on the car it starts up and immediately turns off and gives me the battery symbol on the console???

I check the LOC and amp and their respective blue power lights are lit. Some of the locals say its a grounding issue - checked it as best I could - checked continuity between the amp ground at the amp and the negative battery terminal - some also said the remote cable was the problem - the LOC has a remote cable and it is connected to the amp - it senses current from the rear speakers and if it is there - i guess sends a signal to the amp to turn on, correct??

Any thoughts?? brand new 2016 Corolla, don't want to tear it up yet - not even a month old. Don't want to go into the HU. Not sure where I went wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mad4Jen

Remove the power cable leading to amp/loc.

If it starts up then you have a battery sensor which the power wires need to run thru the sensor and not direct.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Yes - forgot to add that - when the car shut down, the entire computer console shut down. When we disconnected the power cable from the battery terminal - the car started fine and the computer system, GPS, cameras, stereo, bluetooth, etc. rebooted and came back up. This is what I am most afraid about is doing something that knocks that out.

When you say bypass the sensor - how do you do that exactly? Go through the fuse box for power? We installed a rather large power cable, must be 3/8" in diameter or more, I guess we would reduce that somehow to get into the box?

I can research it myself, but my research almost always leads me to the pros on this site.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the stupid questions

possible you introduced a slight short in the power wiring, pics of connections?

the LOC shouldn't get power from the battery, it should get ignition power. it should go to a small 5A fuse on the fuse box. you can use an ADD-A-FUSE on the radio fuse.

many manufacturers are monitoring current usage on the battery ground. share a pic of your battery connections and any other devices located at the battery terminals (with a harness). include a pic of your battery connection and fuse.

appreciate the comments - can you see anywhere either in my comments or in the photos where I may have gone wrong? When we start the car is starts up, but them immediately dies and displays the battery check light - the entire computer then reboots itself and resets all the gps, blue-tooth, audio, sensors, cameras, etc. - just afraid something is going to get damaged permanently - I am considering just giving up and sending all the parts back

appreciate the comments - can you see anywhere either in my comments or in the photos where I may have gone wrong? When we start the car is starts up, but them immediately dies and displays the battery check light - the entire computer then reboots itself and resets all the gps, blue-tooth, audio, sensors, cameras, etc. - just afraid something is going to get damaged permanently - I am considering just giving up and sending all the parts back
Other then the yellow bat wire runing to the middle of the larger wire?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

los33 - so is that a problem? that is the power from the LOC, we just tapped off of the main red power cable - does that have to go to the battery seperately? - just out of curiosity, why would that be? why would that cause a problem? - does the LOC need power if we are going to the rear speakers? does it get power from them once the radio is turned on? We have the LOC speaker wire spliced into the rear speaker wires and the remote wire also spliced into the rear speakers. So maybe the yellow wire is not needed?

you don't want the LOC on all the time. it needs to turn off with the car. that means you need to power it from the radio ignition wire.

you will need to test the power wire as it could have a short or damage. how did you route the power wire? did you use grommets when passing through or by metal edges?

the amp needs to be secured. wiring should be hid.

the rear corner is a nice place for an amp board, they are pretty easy to build. i did this in an hour for a kid that bought a used amp off me:

BrendanAccord018.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.