lost in a sea of speakers

phant0omx

so here i am, in search of speakers. the only problem is i have no clue what to really purchase with the set up i want. i'm an uber n00b so bare with me if you please.

some vehicle specs i suppose would be good.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with infinity stereo.

3.5inch dash

6x9 front doors

6.5 rear doors

the dash speakers are making the farting noise and my stock cd changer is crapping out; so i thought it would be a good idea to install some new gear.

plus the infinity stereo is sort of weird, i believe the amp does all the crossover stuff.

the dash speakers are two way while the front doors act as i assume mid and bass because once i disconnect the dash speakers all i get from the front doors are midbass and bass or lower frequencies and such (forgive me if my terminology is off).

so this is what i want to do/add/upgrade etc,

pioneer premier hu: either p880prs, p790bt, or p690ub

changer: depends if i use an ipod and mp3 discs, which are usually enough for me.

kinda useless these days i guess.

sub: i'd would rather not have a sub so i can keep the space available. i know i can get a sub and have it only take up 1ft3, but i would rather not if i can help it, that room would be used for offroad gear.

speakers: this is the real question. in my situation would it be advisable to get comps? i've been wanting a nice set for a while, but have recently read that it's usually a waste if you don't go ahead and do a complete stereo with a sub. If i do get comps with coaxials in the rear would i be able to have enough bass so it doesn't sound uneven meaning too much mid and highs?

should i just go with coaxials and call it a day?

amount i would be willing to spend is about 250-300.

i do have an old orion hcca 225 that i could use for power since i don't want to put a sub in.

i hope somebody has some insight they can offer me.

thanks.

I would highly recommend a substage, even if it one or two teensie weensie 6.5" subs like these that only need about 0.25cf sealed and 75-100w rms. Don't let their size fool you... there's a few members here that have used those subs and have nothing but great things to say about them. Heck, I'm considering sneaking in a couple into my wife's car lol. You might even be able to fab or have a shop fab some pods into the factory 6.5" rear locations for them (please deaden the living crud out of the doors if you are going to mount subs in them) or under the seats, or whatever!

As for the speakers, I highly recommend amped comps, and here are some that fall into your budget (with the purchase of said sub/s //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ):

RSd65cs

Pioneer REV

Polk MOMO MMC6500

Cerwin Vega V-Max 65

Orion HCCA 6.2

Your current amp should do, as I believe those old school HCCA225's were a bit underrated (called cheater amps back in the day)... can anyone confirm this and tell us roughly what phant0mx can expect out of it at 4 ohms stereo?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.