Amp rear Coaxials?

blazed54
10+ year member

Hawaii
Hi in my 350z i currently have component MB Quart QSD216 - MB Quart Q-Series 6.5" Component speakers in stock location amped by at jl 250/2 and a clarion max675vd deck. I purposely left the rear speakers disconnected because i've heard from others that they aren't needed.

But after awhile the highs of my mb's are causing ear fatigue and i want to put in rear 6.5" coaxial speakers to fade and getting better sound.

My question is if I need to amp the rear coaxials as well to get any sort of performance out of them or if the stock wiring and aftermarket deck are good enough. Also I don't want to buy a new amp just for that and don't know if it's possible to hook the rear's up the my 250/2.

I've also tried lowering the treble but when it's low enough to not cause ear fatigue it just sounds muddled and not good. the clean highs are a known part of the mb quart tweeters but not right for me. help please thank you.

Hi in my 350z i currently have component MB Quart QSD216 - MB Quart Q-Series 6.5" Component speakers in stock location amped by at jl 250/2 and a clarion max675vd deck. I purposely left the rear speakers disconnected because i've heard from others that they aren't needed. But after awhile the highs of my mb's are causing ear fatigue and i want to put in rear 6.5" coaxial speakers to fade and getting better sound.

My question is if I need to amp the rear coaxials as well to get any sort of performance out of them or if the stock wiring and aftermarket deck are good enough. Also I don't want to buy a new amp just for that and don't know if it's possible to hook the rear's up the my 250/2.

I've also tried lowering the treble but when it's low enough to not cause ear fatigue it just sounds muddled and not good. the clean highs are a known part of the mb quart tweeters but not right for me. help please thank you.
Since your head is dead (IIRC) don't bother. It really isn't worth the expense nor real estate (which is slim in your car). Rears are for rear passengers.

I run rears, but faded at 11/12. It helps slightly with fill, but TBH if I didn't have them already installed I wouldn't run out and buy anything.

I have my rears amped, but keep the fader at 10/15 for normal listening. When I want to be LOUD, I even out the fader.

I don't think it's necessary.

I'm not sure on the 250/2 specs, but you could wire the front/rears in parallel, but you would lose fade control. Not worth it, IMO.

Hi in my 350z i currently have component MB Quart QSD216 - MB Quart Q-Series 6.5" Component speakers in stock location amped by at jl 250/2 and a clarion max675vd deck. I purposely left the rear speakers disconnected because i've heard from others that they aren't needed. But after awhile the highs of my mb's are causing ear fatigue and i want to put in rear 6.5" coaxial speakers to fade and getting better sound.

get an eq and tame those tweets. qsd216's can be tamed. they actually can sound pretty good. forget rear staging. mids and highs coming from the rear ****. coaxils ****!!!

Unless you are going to run surround sound or a delay to the rears, forget about it... it will make things worse overall by ruining the front sound stage and imaging.

Agreed on new front comps.
Oh, did you mean the JL 300/2 amp? I don't believe there was ever a 250/2, iirc.
ya i mean the 300/2. replacing the front comps are not an option. I've only had them for about 2 months and paid near $300 for them. so unless i can find a buyer willing to pay close to that i'm just gonna stick with them.

Would i be able to reduce the harshness by adjusting the crossover settings? i'm not exactly sure how crossovers work or what setting my friend connected them to. thx.

ya i mean the 300/2. replacing the front comps are not an option. I've only had them for about 2 months and paid near $300 for them. so unless i can find a buyer willing to pay close to that i'm just gonna stick with them. Would i be able to reduce the harshness by adjusting the crossover settings? i'm not exactly sure how crossovers work or what setting my friend connected them to. thx.
Yeah, you might be able to. There could very well be tweeter attenuation switches/jumpers inside the crossovers. If you see anything marked 0dB, -1dB, -3dB, or the like, set them on one of the lower -dB settings until they are at a more tolerable level.

And if you do decide to sell, a decent replacement set to go along with the 2x150w rms of your amp would be the Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS, which would love that kind of power. Not harsh with the highs, and quite pronounced on the midbass.

who cares what you paid if they sound like hell, you were about to spend money on the rears take that plus what you can get for your MB's and buy something else of course that will just fix the high end, to fix the lows you need to properly prepare your doors.

A lot of people complain about MB Quart tweeters and hard domes in general.

Replacing the speakers with a soft-dome comp set is one option... I agree, the Pioneer speakers are great for the money... also PPI 356cs. This would probably be the least painful and foolproof fix, believe it or not.

- speaker placement could also solve the problem... make, year, and model of car, and exactly where are they installed, need details.

- surround speakers in the rear can actually help soften the highs in the front... your thinking in your opening post was not totally off the mark... I run surround, and actually prefer metal tweets because of it... soft domes would be too laid-back for my system... but everything has to be just right to tame metal tweets sometimes, including speaker placement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.