Powering the Components

Participant count
  • Participant list

crazyone
10+ year member

Canada
Just bought an infinity component set consisting of two 6x8s, two tweeters and two crossovers.

The 6x8s are 90w rms 270peak, and the tweeters are 50w rms 150peak.

To take advantage of the full power,

Is it safe to run 140watts (at 14.4v) to each pair?

Detailed Description of the 680.7cs:

680.7cs

Infinity Kappa 680.7cs 5x7" / 6x8" 2-Way Component System (Set)

component speaker system includes woofers, tweeters, and crossovers

Impedance: 2 Ohms

5x7" / 6x8" Plus One+ woven-glass-fiber woofer cone

Edge-driven MMD dome tweeter

Starfish™ mounting bracket for easier tweeter installation in factory locations

Power range: 90 watts RMS (270 watts peak)

Frequency Response: 45Hz - 25kHz

Sensitivity: 94dB

Mounting Depth: 2-1/4"

Sold In Pairs

RMS is 90, so 140 might be pushing it. Also noticed they're 2ohm instead of 4ohm like most speakers, so make sure you check the 2ohm rating of the amp you choose, so you don't accidently over power them...

The 6x8 is 90watts rms and the tweeter is 50 watts rms

I was simply adding the two rms ratings together to obtain the 140.

They are going to be wired into 4 channels(one 6x8 and one tweeter per channel unfront, and then two 6x8s for the rear)

If i fed 90watts rms to the 6x8 and tweeter, on 1 channel using xover, wouldnt that be underpowering them? Not using the potential 50watts remaining)

It seems they have simply listed the rms rating for the 6x8 and not the tweeter.

Any ideas?

The crossover will send the frequencies below the crossover point to the mids and above the crossover point to the tweeters. Both the mid and tweeter will be getting the same power from that amp channel since they are operating on different frequencies.

If that doesn't make sense, here's an example that'll hopefully help:

• AMP: each channel can provide 100w rms at 2 ohms.
  • MID: Will get 100w rms because the crossover filters 80-3000 Hz frequencies to it.
  • TWEETER: Will get 100w rms because the crossover filters 3000+ Hz frequencies to it. Although, the passive crossover will probably limit the amount of power actually getting to the tweeter through a built-in protection circuit.

I did not know that the mid and tweeter, each on its own, will get the same power from that amp channel because they are on different frequencies.

Thanks for the post

=)

Power range: 90 watts RMS (270 watts peak)

Frequency Response: 45Hz - 25kHz
- The speakers are rated full-range, as low as they will go (45HZ)... in other words, no crossover.

If you use a high-pass crossover on the amp at 80HZ or higher, they should handle double the rated power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.