Looking to upgrade two 12”s

Lovebass805

Recently got two sa 12’s I have a crappy enclosure and amp but I think that will just make a modest increase in sound and I’m looking to be blown away

I have my eye on American bass hd 12’s ported or sealed I want a enclosure no longer in width of 36 inches with the rest of the dimensions with room to spare sorry I don’t have exact measurements it’s 2016 prius(lol) and to output effortless distortion less bass that sounds natural and accurate honestly my little entry level mtx terminator sounded a little better than the sa12’s I have now sq wise I’m thinking cause they were sealed which also makes me have my eye on mtx flagship subwoofer drivers that their is literally no reviews about anywhere online

Does anyone have any other suggestions

The sa 12 aren’t nearly as loud as I want them to be.

And sundown haven’t responded to my emails inquiring about their other products as a possible upgrade twice now so their customer service has been non existent for me unlike to rave reviews plus their stuff is made in China

I had a avalanche 18” in a tuned sealed 24” enclosure that was the most amazing subwoofer I’ve ever heard but it doesn’t fit in my car. Plus the the company is long gone

Those subs are rated at 750 watts each, something that'll "blow you away" is gonna take extra batteries, an alternator, and a pretty **** imposing box.

You need at least 2k rms amp and a correct box to begin with. If that doesn't make you happy, get out your wallet.

Most likely you need a better box and more power.

And MTX hasn't been relevant in a decade tbh

American bass GDs aren’t going to sound any better than the SAs. They are spl woofers and will not perform well ina sealedbox. Look into IDQS, ssa audio, fi q, etc
Which brand would you recommend if your suggested to go with? I want want sq but spl too I remember being in peoples cars when I was young and the bass was was so tight and overwhelming you’d feel it all over your face and body but if I remember correctly the people’s cars that did that had like 6 12” drivers sealed would it be possible to get that same performance out of two high excursion 12” drivers powered right in the right enclosure?

I’ve never heard of idqs looking at their drivers some of them look nice 28mm of Xmas and decent sized magnets

Which brand would you recommend if your suggested to go with? I want want sq but spl too I remember being in peoples cars when I was young and the bass was was so tight and overwhelming you’d feel it all over your face and body but if I remember correctly the people’s cars that did that had like 6 12” drivers sealed would it be possible to get that same performance out of two high excursion 12” drivers powered right in the right enclosure?
I’ve never heard of idqs looking at their drivers some of them look nice 28mm of Xmas and decent sized magnets
yeah sealed won't blow u away unless u have tons of power., especially if u have subs that work better ported.. u need a better amp and a well designed ported box tuned at 32 hz which will be much louder than sealed and have good sound quality.. what crappy amp do u have?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have 2k on those sa's , I wouldn't judge them yet. As for what you're wanting the abs aren't your answer

As others have stated a well built enclosure ... would be the route I'd suggest

Recently got two sa 12’s I have a crappy enclosure and amp but I think that will just make a modest increase in sound and I’m looking to be blown away
I have my eye on American bass hd 12’s ported or sealed I want a enclosure no longer in width of 36 inches with the rest of the dimensions with room to spare sorry I don’t have exact measurements it’s 2016 prius(lol) and to output effortless distortion less bass that sounds natural and accurate honestly my little entry level mtx terminator sounded a little better than the sa12’s I have now sq wise I’m thinking cause they were sealed which also makes me have my eye on mtx flagship subwoofer drivers that their is literally no reviews about anywhere online

Does anyone have any other suggestions

The sa 12 aren’t nearly as loud as I want them to be.

And sundown haven’t responded to my emails inquiring about their other products as a possible upgrade twice now so their customer service has been non existent for me unlike to rave reviews plus their stuff is made in China

I had a avalanche 18” in a tuned sealed 24” enclosure that was the most amazing subwoofer I’ve ever heard but it doesn’t fit in my car. Plus the the company is long gone
BRUH are you okay?

You literally did everything in your power to fk up the performance of those sundowns and now blaming it on the sub rather than your own cluelessness on how to actually do a proper sub setup. It doesnt matter what subs you get, they will all perform like absolute dogsh*t in the way you are setting things up.

If your windshield is not flexing several inches and some hair flying with two SA 12s, that means your box/amp is complete garbage limiting 95% of the sub's capabilities.

We’ll see I’m broke now but I’ll upgrade those in the future do you have a spot you can suggest where I can get the enclosure and a suggestion for the amp to run these and possibly upgrade the drivers with most likely a much deeper mounting depth easily with the same enclosure if I’m not satisfied

BRUH are you okay?
You literally did everything in your power to fk up the performance of those sundowns and now blaming it on the sub rather than your own cluelessness on how to actually do a proper sub setup. It doesnt matter what subs you get, they will all perform like absolute dogsh*t in the way you are setting things up.

If your windshield is not flexing several inches and some hair flying with two SA 12s, that means your box/amp is complete garbage limiting 95% of the sub's capabilities.

We’ll see I’m broke now but I’ll upgrade those in the future do you have a spot you can suggest where I can get the enclosure and a suggestion for the amp to run these and possibly upgrade the drivers with most likely a much deeper mounting depth easily with the same enclosure if I’m not satisfied
If you have the money to even think about upgrading subs, you definitely have the money to do a proper amp and box. You are literally spending stuff on the wrong things. The box is something you never ever cheap out on. Same with the amp and electrical. Subs are the things you can cheap out on.

If you are on a budget, build your own box. It doesnt matter if you dont have tools, go to home depot, have them cut the wood, take it home, glue and screw then caulk, the whole ordeal takes you less than 40 bucks. total. Borrow a jigsaw from someone, friend or relative thats the only thing you need to cut the sub hole. Yet it'll take your system to the next level. Any kind of focus and attention should be the box NOW not in the future. NOW. You should not think about anything else other than a properly designed box. Everything else is pointless.

American bass GDs aren’t going to sound any better than the SAs. They are spl woofers and will not perform well ina sealedbox. Look into IDQS, ssa audio, fi q, etc
Hds are their daily ground pounders, the vfls are the spl oriented subs. Hds work an spl applications but they can get low and nasty too.

Find a design that's for those Sa-12's and quit tryin' to replace em' before you give em' a chance. In my experience they should do just fine on 1.5K-2.5K and any upgrade from there is gonna require some $$$.

9OFsgj.jpg

Can I ask what amp you have on them? Not to mess with you, I am curious.

I will echo what the others have said, the sundowns will do you right if they are supplied the right power/clean signal and housed in a proper box. You are already part of the way to having what you are looking for by doing what was suggested above.

Listen to the above members, they know what they are talking about. Having the right box (especially a ported box) and the right power to drive them is huge. Two SA-12 in the right box with the right power should give you what you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.