Looking to up grade my 4x6s

Participant count
  • Participant list

tonka
10+ year member

I currently have 4 4-way Pioneer 4x6s (35watts RMS each) in the stock location of mu truck. They are now the weakest piont of my system and I want to upgrade. I was looking at these Fosgates but IDK about only 45watts RMS for $70.

Rockford Fosgate T1462 (09-t1462) - 4" x 6" Speakers - Sonic Electronix

I know there alot of brands and models out there. I have a good idea of what I should stay away from. But suggestions for my next sets of 4x6's do you all have and what have you had the best luck with. And how can I tell what speaker is better than the next, out side of the basic peak/RMS wattage raitings. I'm looking of crisp, clean highs ans mids, dont care so much about bass as I have a 12 and you would never here them make bass. And they have to beable to handle alot of volume. I want it LOUD.

As far as price, I dont really want to go far outside of $70-$80 per pair

So, what do you recomend.

If you dont care about bass for the 4x6s then make a filler plate and mount 2 tweets in each one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif or if u want mids an highs make a mounting plate for a 5.25 component setup, thats what i would do.

I tried installing a 5-1/4 in my dash befor and I couldnt get the speaker in the hole, I even cut out all the factory mounting metle and it wouldnt fit. the AC/heater vent tubes are in the way and I'm not going to cut them up enough to fit in a 5-1/4 speaker.

I tried installing a 5-1/4 in my dash befor and I couldnt get the speaker in the hole, I even cut out all the factory mounting metle and it wouldnt fit. the AC/heater vent tubes are in the way and I'm not going to cut them up enough to fit in a 5-1/4 speaker.
if you made an adapter out of 3/4 mdf would the 3/4 of an inch be enough to raise the magent up enough over the vent tubes?

Ohh my bad when u said truck i thought u meant trunk, hmm... ok so there in your dash? id look for some low profile components or coaxials whatever your choice and double check the mounting depths. Or you can just go with the tweeter idea and run 4 tweets up front, maybe you could find a set of 4" components... rare... but ive seen them. also what kind of truck my dad has a dodge that has slots for three 3.5s on the dash?

Moving the speakers to the door panels or kick area is an option as well. That would allow you to upgrade to 6.5" components.

It's not too difficult if you have some fabrication skills...

either would work but i meant the second ones that are two piece but the infinitys are good budget speakers, i hear ya on price im runnin pyle 6.5 components lol. Its all preference man you can go cheap you just have fitment issues, i would go with macking a mounting plate and putting the speakers on that, do you want them under the dash? Because if fitment is your issue just make them out of board like 3/4s mdf or even 1 inch. Doesnt even have to be mdf get ghetto and use plywood and double stack it that should give you close to and inch.

I've really thought about that. I have a nice pair of Alpine 6.5s that are BRAND NEW sitting in my room. Bought them for my firebird, firebird kicked the can so here they sit. But IDK if I want to cut up the door pannles that bad. I'm a little worried about clerence issues as well as I have power windows and my doors arnt that thick.

I've really thought about that. I have a nice pair of Alpine 6.5s that are BRAND NEW sitting in my room. Bought them for my firebird, firebird kicked the can so here they sit. But IDK if I want to cut up the door pannles that bad. I'm a little worried about clerence issues as well as I have power windows and my doors arnt that thick.
You could always do kick panel pods. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif I'd really think about it. Using the 6.5" components that you already have would be a nice upgrade.

People are doing ridiculous door pods with fiberglass these days too, man. Honestly, sometimes they look just as nice, or better, than the stock panels...

I think I will take a look at making some kick pods. I have my own table saw, jig saw, drill, whole saw set, ect... and 1/2 a sheet of MDF would be cheaker than a new set of speakers. I dont have the time, money or skills to mess with fiber glass.

I think I will take a look at making some kick pods. I have my own table saw, jig saw, drill, whole saw set, ect... and 1/2 a sheet of MDF would be cheaker than a new set of speakers. I dont have the time, money or skills to mess with fiber glass.
Using fiberglass would make the job easier. Good luck with it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.