Looking to replace my speakers in my 300M

Participant count
  • Participant list

amantonas

Hi,

I have 9 speakers in my 300M; 2 front tweeters and woofers, 2 rear tweeters and woofers, and 1 center speaker. I would like to replace the two front and back woofers with coaxials. The backs are 6x9" and the fronts are 6.5". I have a head unit, but if you guys could help me pick out some speakers, that would be awesome. I'd like to spend no more than $150 on these.

This effort seems like a waste of time and money. Why do you replace woofers with coaxials? Do you have a plan to turn off the factory tweeters or do you think that having twice as many tweeters as before will make the system sound better? Also, I wouldn't bother with the $150 budget to replace anything. You spend time and money to replace one set of cheap speakers for another cheap set. The new speakers may sound "different" but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement.

If you want to think of a serious upgrade, consider first installing JBL MS-8. Your car has a center channel speaker, and MS-8 is one of the very few aftermarket processors with center channel support. It's probably the only one if you consider only the DSPs with an auto tune. It comes with an internal 8-channel amplifier, and 8 pre-amp outs. You can use five channels for the front tweeters woofers and center channel, two channels for rear coaxial speakers or components with a passive crossover (MS-8 being limited to only 8 output channels, doesn't have enough channels to drive rear and front speakers all with active mode crossovers if you want central channel and subwoofer), and one pre-amp channel for subwoofer signal. The processor has the ability to automatically tune its 32-band equalizer and time alignment. The improvement from having it installed and tuned should make a huge improvement in sound quality. If you're not satisfied, you could always upgrade speakers and add speaker amplifiers later. Just my 2c.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.