Looking for "smooth" 6.5" components

Well, from everything I've heard so far both the CDT HD62-US and Hertz HSK 165 sound very promising. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding many details about the Hertz. I went to their web site and could not find a specific page dedicated to that model.

All I could find was some sketchy info under Products > Hi-Energy. I'm wondering if this is an older model now(?) There is some info about a "HV 165XL," which seems similar but a bit more pricey.

I'd LOVE to hear all these in person, but I'd literally have to drive halfway across the country to likely hear them on a wall display - which still doesn't tell the whole story. And finding a store where I could A/B them would even been a longer shot...

At this point I've just been able to find so much more info about the CDTs, and they just really do seem like exactly what I'm looking for. One reviewer said something about them having the closest thing to a good, natural-sounding home system type sound, and as I mentioned in my original post this has been rather elusive for me. The guy "sounded" like he knew what he was talking about, so maybe I should take it as a sign - haha.

At any rate I'll probably end up having my local JL Audio dealer install whatever I get since I have at least one other project for them to do soon. And I'll invariably hear (again) how I should have bought either the JL Evolution C5s or the ZRs since "JL makes the greatest speakers on earth." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Don't get me wrong, they are good guys and I love JL's subs and amps, but I'm not so sure about their components. I know for a fact that their lower-end ones are pretty mediocre. I actually think I could be happy with their C5 650s, but I do just have a feeling about the CDTs for some reason. Hmmm... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

I've been trying to look for a good review/comparo including the Image Dynamics Chameleons (version 2 "v2) ... does anybody know of a link to a "professional" review of those comps?

to OP: those are just within your price range I believe and seem to get props on these boards

Id say before buying new speakers it sounds to me like you may not have the equalizer set right. If it sounds too bright maybe you should try turning down the higher frequencies. Ive had the same problem and lowering the higher frequencies helped a great deal.

or even adding in a passive choke...

as far as the MBQ line they are not handmade in Germany anymore but they are still very similar in sound to them. so if you liked any of the pk,rd, or q lines from pre 2005 or earlier, you would still like the new models.

and if you search you will find several magazine articles/reviews of the new "Maxxsonics" MBQuart comps, that match what I said..

alot of people were skeptical til they actually heard them.. including me lol

Hey echo 1434.

CDT's line is a good line at a lower price piont.

I have played with CDT mids & tweeters, & there Mids can be tonality good, not great. there tweeters are or can be harsh, yes very harsh.

if you're looking for that hifi home smooth sound , then maybe you can look into raw drivers.

You have Scan Speak,SB Acoustics,Peerless,Vifa,Aurum Cantus,Seas,Fountek,ETC......

Partsexpress & Madisound.

Tuning is your biggest challenge.

Before you buy another comps set why not try active?

when your'e looking at spending $500 plus doesn't mean you get a better product.

Hertz,Rainbow,Image Dynamics,Morel,Dynaudio,dls,Focal, Etc.... all sale raw drivers.

If you have the ear to hear the drifferent as in tonality midrange, smooth or harsh voices,detail, yes i love detail.

sparkle on top,etc.....

Your install is the most important part of caraudio.

Placement,aiming,deadening,etc....

myself i like the sound of a F.A.S.T. sound stage vs 2way or 3way set ups.

Please before you buy CDT do more reading on other forums.

$500 is a lot to waste on a good to average comp setup

Hertz HSK's do make my ears happy. The older Pioneer PRS did the same, actually. However, my main experience with them was in an award-winning SQ Audi A4. The install and imaging was quite incredible.

Hopefully you can find a location to hear some more options.

Honestly Id check XXX comps out. See if your dealer that carries RE can snag a pair and put them on the floor so you can listen to them. I loved those comps and want to get another pair eventually

If you want natural sounding look into HAT(hybrid audio technology) and Hertz. Their bottom of the line sounds better than most of the ones that get recommended in the $450 range. Step into either brand at that price point and there is no comparison with the mainstream recommendations again at double the price. That is if you want the warm natural sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.